Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Something bizarre is happening to my guppies.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hoshinai
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)3:24    Post subject: Something bizarre is happening to my guppies. Reply with quote

OK, I have 5 fairly young(1 inch or less), seemingly all female guppies(grey and very non-fancy) in a fairly new 20 gallon tank. They were first given to me by a friend whose guppies had babies. I was unprepared for them, and they spent the first week in a Tupperware bowl, later moved to an old 2 gallon hexagon tank. After another week of that, they were finally in a well-planted 20 gallon.

They have lived through high ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, but are now much more stable, save for a high pH of 8.0.

I have an AquaClear 3 Stage Power Filter for 30g, and various plants. I do weekly 4g waterchanges.

The problem is that all 5 have(and have had to varying degrees since being in the 2 gallon tank) strange black spots and stripes on their tails. It doesn't seem to bother them, and the tails aren't rotting, but I can't tell if the marks are a natural pattern or something else.

On the biggest guppie, it looks somewhat patterned, but the other just have random black stripes on their tails. Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

This is my first aquarium, now that I'm getting into the hobby I just wanted to see what people thought, because when the tank is 100% cycled, I wanted to add a few more fish.
Majie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I do have a lot of baby guppies. I suspect that this is just the development of natural patterning - most obviously in the males. Some of my male guppies develop their natural colouration quite early, others take a while and are quite large before they blossom.

Do your friend's adult guppies have much patterning?
Hoshinai
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask about her guppies.

I'm just concerned because the black spots/stripes are somewhat erratic and not exactly in a pattern. The fish themselves are a silver/grey, so seeing black on their tails is a bit alarming.
Majie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean - but my male guppies certainly develop their tail colour over several months. It might start off with a few black streaks and marks - then get some yellow or blue colour - and at the moment I have some whose tails eventually go red (after being yellow for weeks).

As long as they seem happy and healthy - I wouldn't worry.

I'm afraid, even when the colour is fully developed, you won't get nice symmetrical patterns on all their tails (unless, of course, your friend is a professional breeder - but even then the patterns will vary). Most guppies are a complete mixture of all sorts - and the babies will reflect this. It's half the fun of breeding them (if you're an amateur) - seeing what colours you get. (I never had a red tailed adult male guppy to start with - it must have come from one of the girlies Laughing )
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: