Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How does this sound? Starting EI.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:46    Post subject: How does this sound? Starting EI. Reply with quote

I'm just figuring out how I'm going to be running and dosing my 55 gallon aquarium, and I just want some people with more experience than me with planted tanks to look over my setup.

Tank Stats:

Size: Standard 55 Gallon

Lighting: 48" Coralife 2X65W PC w/6500K bulbs, 2X24" 15W 6500K lights TOTAL: 160W approx. 3 WPG. @ 12 hrs. a day

Heat: 78-80F

Filtration: AC70 turned down low, AC30 turned up high

Old Dosing: I have been dosing Seachem Flourish and Flourish Iron for a while, but I have just stepped up to EI for better growth.

New Dosing:

DAY ONE
3/4 tsp. Calcium Nitrate
3/4 tsp. K2SO4
1/8 tsp. KH2PO4
10 mL. Seachem Excel

DAY TWO
5 mL. Flourish
5 mL. Flourish Iron
10 mL. Excel

I will be alternating those two days and doing 2/3 (66%) water changes every Saturday.

Fish bioload is low. I can go 5-6 weeks without nitrates exceeding 40.

Flora:

1 Amazon Sword
1 (Quickly Growing)Dwarf Hygro Hygrophila polysperma
1 Java Fern
3 Aponogetons
3 Cabombas
10 Narrow-Leaf Ludwigia Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Some Java Moss

These plants grow amazingly fast in my tank right now. The ludwigia probably grows over 1/2" a day, the Cabombas do the same, and you can practically watch the sword grow. This is without the N,P,K and excel. I can't wait until the excel comes in (I had to order it in) and the EI really gets going.

So what does everyone think? Does this setup look like it will be good in the long run? Any ways to make it better?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you needed to be injecting Co2 (diy or pressurized) for it to be worth doing EI? Maybe excel provides enough though.

I've actually just started EI myself(started one week ago), I'm doing it according to this article http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=104737
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe most who use EI dose macros directly after the water change, then micros the next day. Macros and micros should each be dosed 3x weekly, with a day off prior to the water change.

That's not written in stone or anything, just seems the standard procedure.

10 ml excel daily is overdosing it, is that your plan? I'll be curious to see if the excel can keep up with that much light...

You may want to consider running the 2x65 only 4-6 hours a day. Especially if you start to have algae problems or are getting tired of the plants growing that fast!

Any reason for using calcium nitrate instead of KNO3?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't ordered the excel yet, so I put a couple bottles of gelatin to set in the fridge for DIY CO2. This is only temporary- just long enough for me to convince my mom to let me use her credit card for ordering excel.

I planned on double dosing the excel so it could keep up with my lighting. I may even double dose it AND continue to run my 2 bottle DIY CO2. I read somewhere on here that some people go up to 5X regular dosing for excel, without hurting the fish.

I've been running the 2X65 12 hours a day for about a month now. There is defintely algae if you don't keep up with it, but I enjoy going over my tanks every night to fix any issues. Scraping algae with my magnet cleaner is one of the things I typically do every night, just to keep all the algae in check. I don't mind. Plus, people are looking at the tank more than 12 hours a day, so it is almost needed.

I picked up the CaNO3 by accident. I was planning on getting KNO3, but I sort of accidentally ended up in the hydrophonics store the other day. I wasn't making a dedicated trip there, but I saw it while we were driving, so I told my mom to pull over.

I just told the guy I needed some Nitrogen, Pottasium, and Phosphorus, so he handed me the CaNO3. I figured it wouldn't make any difference, so I didn't bother to say anything. The calcium couldn't hurt the tank anyways.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduce the light full blast as suggested.

Use only the low light bulbs for 10 hours, and then about 1/2 way through the day, have the timer blast the PC's, maybe as suggested, 4-6 hours, that's it.

Get the CO2 issue resolved.
See the Venturi reactor I designed for folks, will not cost but a couple of $$.
Use 2 bottles at the min for the 55 gallon and change them weekly.
Excel is fine also, but use sparingly when you have any algae issues, which will be mainly due to poor CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: