Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
CO2 Acidity in Planted Tank with Fish
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mortis
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:10    Post subject: CO2 Acidity in Planted Tank with Fish Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

I plan on getting a new 29 G tank ( 24L x 18W x 15H ) and making it into my first planted tank .
One of my main concerns is that since there will be some fish in the tank and CO2 is required for
healthy plants , will the increase in acidity caused by the CO2 harm the fish ? Ill be putting in some
fancy guppies ,which from from what I've read prefer slightly alkaline water so would it be OK for
them or should I ditch the CO2 ? Plus if I do add a teeny amount of salt in the tank would it harm most
plants ?

I think I could fit in about 15-20 fish in my tank but I plan on stocking only 8 - 10 of them so would
I still need a filter considering the tank will be pretty heavily planted ? Will a Sponge Filter do?

Could you guys suggest a good algae-eating fish or shrimp which is small in size and doesn't grow over
3-4 inches max and is compatible with guppies and doesn't ruin the plants. Also which are some good
foreground and mid ground plants with small leaves or grassy in appearance and some good carpet
plants/mosses other than Java moss that I can use (pls give common as well as scientific names
if possible).
Finally is 15 inches an OK height for a planted tank or should I increase it to 18 inches.

Thanks in advance Smile
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always refer people to this site: aquariaplants.com

To me, petsmart is good for a few things, online-price-matching, and "rubber-lip" plecos (which may be mis-named). If you are looking for a small algae eater I would recommend this pleco for it's size. Alternatively, ottos may be easier to find at your local pet/fish store.

As far as low pH levels is concerned, make sure the water is within reasonable numbers 6-8 and then keep it constant.. I don't think the fishes will complain.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_silent_cycling.php
Hi there, this article will give you some answers.

If you stock your aquarium with fish like Tetras, that prefer acid pools, there is no problem. They might as well breed for you Wink in those perfect for breeding conditions. But you should know that adding Bi-carbonated soda will bring up your KH/pH if it sinks too low (I don't use it my self since my fish likes low pH).
There is also available on the market the KH Plus from various brands.

Sponge filter will do if the bio-load is kept understocked, but exceeding it I would advice power filter instead. It is better under-stocking planted tanks if you are intending of running a low light low tech aquarium.
http://lowlightlowtechplanted.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Finally is 15 inches an OK height for a planted tank or should I increase it to 18 inches.

The closer your plants are to the lights, the leaves are going to be more compact and beautiful. If the light are too high, the plant will (in low light tanks) try to reach the surface for more light, causing the plant to look leggy with very little leaves. 15 inches will do IME.

Algae eater are mentioned in the first offered article, but here is more;
http://www.aquariumalgaeeaters.blogspot.com/
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Kind regards, Dusko.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies . The reason I don't want to stock tetras is because I already had them for 1 1/2 years in a 15G which I've now passed on to my niece Smile

I'll look into the algae eater you guys mentioned or I l probably just scrape it off the glass . I can't put in a sucker cos they don't mix well with plants right ?

Is it OK to use soda bicarb to balance out the pH ? How much of a drop in pH would the DIY yeast reactor create , not too much I guess.
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH changes caused by CO2 do not harm fish.

Semper Fi
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what Rex said:

Salts such as Sodium bicarbonate cause osomotic shock if you transfer a fish from hard to soft and from soft to hard rapidly.

CO2 is a gas, not a salt.
There is no osmotic shock as CO2 and O2 are in our blood and the fishes', there is already an internal regulation in place.

You can see this by using CO2, then doing a huge water change weekly, say 80% each week, fish are fine.

pH moves 1 full unit, never a fish related issue for decades and with 10,000 or more hobbyists.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: