Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf gourami with blue streak?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
terence
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)20:47    Post subject: Dwarf gourami with blue streak? Reply with quote

Hi

My dwarf gourami 9 (one of 2 males) has developed a blue streak from its eyes down to just behind its feelers?. Is this OK? By the way this fellow is very quiet and inactive unlike the other male.

rgds
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, you should not keep two male gouramis together. This one is probably inactive b/c the other one shows much aggression towards it. Just make sure he doesn't get hurt!

a picture would really help us determine what the blue streak could be. I'm sure there is no disease they get that causes a blue streak so I think its just his colors coming out.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Should I get more gouramis now? I can't separate them as I only have 1 tank! I will try to upload a pic as soon as I can get one.

rgds
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to correct what Tetrabarb said - you can keep two male gouramis together, but they must have enough space to each claim an adequate territory, and it's best if you can keep females with them (I would keep three or four with two males). So I guess the question is, what size tank do you have, and how many more fish can you keep?

As for the blue streak, I think I know what you're talking about, but it will be best to see a picture to know for sure. n_n
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your tank? You really shouldn't keep two males together unless you have a very large, very well-planted tank with plenty of hiding places, which you probably don't since you're seeing aggression in your tank. The smaller male isn't likely to be killed in a fight but the harassment is keeping him miserable and the combination of stress and fin damage will eventually lead to declining health, especially in the form of infections.

The best thing to do is either save your money to buy a new tank instead of more gouramis, or return one of them. If you can find females, two or three females to one male can make a happy ratio, but again, they need some room. If they breed, the male will aggressively defend the nest against every fish in the tank, including the females. They will need room to tiptoe away and hide.

EDIT: haha, you type faster than I do, JunBetta. Wink
terence
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys!

My tank is a 10G tank, a bday gift from my wife. I definitely can't get a new larger one just yet. I have 3 barbs (larry, moe and curly), a pleco and the 2 dwarves (beavis n butthead). All named by my wife so u know she regrets buying the tank already!! Wink
I guess I can make some hiding places for the bullied fella. He seems to be gasping for air today, and either at the bottom or at the top of the tank...and hardly eats too Confused I hope he does not die......
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a bullied guy. That explains the blackish/blue streak -- it's a sign of stress. I would recommend trying to return or give away the one that's being bullied, if he's lethargic and gasping for air he's definitely stressed and not doing too well. I guess what I would recommend for your tank would be to return/give away this one gourami, and add two more barbs to your school. This should make a good, peaceful balance in your tank. n_n The 10 gallon is just too small for two male gouramis, and there's no way you'd be able to add the appropriate number of females to keep them appeased, haha. n_n Should you get a larger tank, large numbers of gouramis are beautiful indeed, but I recommend a tank of at least 30 gallons, ideally larger.

I hope everything works out alright!
terence
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Sigh, I got up Sunday morning and saw the poor gourami sideways in the tank and gasping for air!! I got him out and put him in a bowl. He has been OK the last coupla days, but doesn't eat at all. Any way of getting food into him? I am hoping a miracle takes place and he recovers completely. Gonna make more hiding places and plants just for him. What else can I do? Crying or Very sad

rgds
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a whole lot you can do. A 10g is to small in my opinion for two male gouramis no matter how well planted. I would try to get him a new home.

Quote:
I have 3 barbs (larry, moe and curly),
what kind of barbs? some are fin nippers and could be causeing even more stress on the bullied gourami. won't say its deffinitly happening, but it could.

Quote:
a pleco

Do you know what species? Common pleco's can get as large as 2 feet in lenght and whats is a bit larger then your tank is. I don't remember exactly but I think most pleco's get to big for a 10g but I think there are a few species which don't get very big and could do good in it. Also, pleco's are big waste producers so make sure to keep up with your water changes.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The barbs are 1 tiger and 2 albino. Same size all three and forever fighting with each other. The pleco, its albino, abt 3 inches long, looks pretty much like a normal pleco.

In any case, my poor gourami died yesterday morning Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

sigh........[/quote]
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: