Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What makes fishkeeping so addictive??!!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)19:52    Post subject: What makes fishkeeping so addictive??!! Reply with quote

I was wondering if I'm the only one with this problem...I just seem to keep getting tanks, but I still want more!

I am still new to this hobby, but it is addictive. I started in August with a 29 gallon, tropical community, with some tetras, cories, and a gourami as the centerpiece. In November, my professor gave me her 20 gallon since she didn't have time to take proper care of it. Fortunately I got it cycled right before my 29 gallon started leaking, so I had a place to put my fish until I could get a replacement. I bought a new 29 gallon (since I already had the stand and didn't want to have it sitting there empty) but did nothing with it because I went home for Christmas break for a month. I am now cycling it and a 10 gallon (my brother's old set up) so I'll soon have three tanks!

And I really want to get a big tank so I can get an oscar or dempsey...will I ever have enough tanks? Anyone else have this problem?!
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

o ya, I've got 5 tanks to my own and I've pretty much maxed out all of my outlets. me and my dad have 7 and my mom is going to go balistic if we get another. I have plenty of aqariums, just no where to set them up. my next tank, if I can get it setup, will be a predatory tank w/apple snails and catfish.(I saw these really cool Cali Cats, brown with black spots, really sharp.) no one can ever stop until you run into major problems that make you stop.
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes not-enough-tank syndrome is very infectious. Those pictures of beautiful tanks on this website doesn't make it easier. I started out with a 10G but not long after I felt it was inadequate so I gave it away and got a 29G. Still feeling bore I bought 5G tanks to house a betta. Not long after I got a 2.5G for breeding. It hit me hard when I went and got a 75G. Still just sitting there since I'm unsure the floor can support the weight of it. I'm on the second floor. At the moment I'm trying to find a 55G. Don't think I'll stop there anytime soon ^__^.

One question. How are you guys aging the water for water change. The water you leave aside. I have a 12G tupperware thing and it's not enough. Hard to allocate space to store water. Do you guys just pump straight from tap?
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I can put my finger on what it is that makes fish keeping so addictive, but I know I've got the bug. It all started last year when I got my 55 gallon. I was very pleased with it at first, but then I discovered aquascaping and found the 55 gallon was more a challenge than I cared for when it came to that. I just got a 120 gallon tank on Friday and I'm rapidly sinking money into it getting it ready for planting...it's so expensive when you're just starting out on a tank Confused
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am going to get/ fix my 20, get a 10, 5 and hopefully a 30-55 gal, and when I am older, a 500 gallon SW tank, housing a bunch of tangs and nemos and all them cool fish. and a 250 gal freshwater tank. I have to marry a rich guy! Wink
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably because there are so many different fish out there. Even if we did have all the fish in the world we would still want to have more of our favourites. Also like Angela said, aquascaping and other challenges make us need more excitement than maintaining the tanks.
Barracuda324
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 tanks in my room,

20 in my head!!! Twisted Evil

WHO DEY, WHO DEY, WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS?!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its because its always a challange to make that aquascape look like takashi amano's. or to breed thos fish you always wanted to. are to get thos fish that you couldent afford its just a big challnge and we are going for gold!!!! Sorry for any typos
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty too I have a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon in my small bedroom and I want to get a small puffer tank but have no where to put it..
nanaglen2001
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good question. I guess only a Psychatrist MAY have an answer.

In my opinion one has to be born to be a Fishkeeper. I know lots of people who call me completely gaga, and don't understand why I am so crazy about my fish, but on the other hand they are about as crazy about their pet dogs or cats or whatever.

Its something built in within ones brain (I guess), and ist sitting there and waits patiently for the day to come.

And when the first 20something gallon tank arrives, the Virus or Hormone breaks loose. Or it won't, then you don't have the virus. Those folks who won't fall for aquariums are the best source to lay hands on very cheap new tanks Razz

One person is due with 10 years, the other one with 30...

I found out very early in my life that fish are MY animals. And they still are, and its getting worse. I think in about 2 years I am going to change my 115 Gallon tank into a round about 200 Gallon cutie Shocked
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: