Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What do you guys think?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)16:09    Post subject: What do you guys think? Reply with quote

Hey I just want to get some opionions on this. Me and my dad might start a project to build a tank but first I wanted to hear your guys opinions on my 3 different stocking ideas, and what size tank would be need for them. Smile

Stocking Plan 1
1 oscar
1 convict
1 firemouth

Stocking Plan 2
1 oscar
2 convicts

Stocking Plan 3
1 oscar
2 firemouths

The oscar is non negotiable, I am open to ideas as well. Smile What size tank would be need for the 3 different stocking plans?
spotto_the_krib
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you must be aware the while oscars are fantastic fish, they can be aggressive and kill other fish. However, this shouldn't be a problem if you have a big enough tank. If you want an oscar you MUST have a tank at least 53 gallons otherwise you will find you will have an unhappy oscar and you really don't want that!! After the first one, you should have an additional 26.5 gallons for every additional oscar. If happy enough your oscar should be compatible with other fish but be aware that oscars enjoy digging out plants- one plant they don't attack is java fern because this plant attaches itself the logs and rocks rather than gravel substrate. Remember 53 gallon tank MINIMUM and good luck!
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not confine a 15 inch fish to a 53 gallon tank, period. Whether you have two convicts, two firemouths, or one of each doesn't matter as they any combination will require the same amount of space, as both fish grow to about 6 inches and are from the same location in the wild.

In my opinion, an oscar ALONE will require about a 125 gallon aquarium (72in x 20in x 20 in). If you also want to keep firemouths and/or convicts, I would reccomend a 180 gallon aquarium (72 x 24 x 24).
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with jack_dempsey 11.

125g is what I consider the minimum for an Oscar. Keeping Oscars in 55g is just as bad as the WalMart keeping bettas in tiny plastic cups. -_-

However, from what I've heard, firemouths are not very aggressive and don't get very big.. so I wouldn't keep one with an Oscar

However, I've heard of convicts killing Oscars. I'm sure that's SUPER rare, but it happens. I'd keep 2 con's with an oscar as long as they weren't breeding. Breeding convicts will attack/kill anything or die trying.

Good luck! Smile
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your posts. I think I want to try 1 oscar, 1 convict and 1 fire mouth.. but I have a lot of time to think... I know that they need a lot of space. And I just looking for the right tank at this point. Thanks
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: