Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can you mix gourami's?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)9:51    Post subject: Can you mix gourami's? Reply with quote

I picked up a male and female dwarf blue flame gourami yesterday at my LFS and introduced them into my aquarium. After adding them to the tank I have decided that these are my favorite fish and I would like to add a few more but of a different flavor.

If I get only females can I add for example two Colbalt Blue Gourami's?!?

I have a 55 gal planted w/ 6 Glowlight Tetras, 6 Gold Neon Tetras, and 2 Dwarf Blue Flame Gouramis...I'm currently in the process of stocking....
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be OK, just make sure they are female!

in breeding season (the males especially) will get aggressive and may injure the other gouramis. if he starts making a nest though, b/c you also put in females, he may injure any other fish that comes close to the nest.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally if you have a 55 there's more than enough room to put a couple more males along with a nice harem of females.
spotto_the_krib
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouramis are very likeable due to their colour and nature. If you decide to add more I recomend adding a lace/pearl gourami. They are attractive and easy to keep! If you're in the process of stocking I recomend ghost knife fish- they are cool
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf Gouramis have solved your problems themselves - they come in three different colour varieties. :3 If you have Blue Flame (I'm assuming this is the Blue Neon variety?), there is also Red Flame and the natural, blue and red striped varieties. You could get 2 more male gouramis, perhaps one of each colour variety, and 2-3 females per male. n_n This would be a gorgeous species tank (I was going to do this myself, but I aborted the idea because I didn't have a large enough tank), and what aggression there is in the Dwarf Gourami species will be spread out between the males and females and all your neons will be left alone. I think a species tank like this would work much better than mixing species of gouramis, and I think you'll have much better luck in the long run.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added 3 "honey sunset dwarf gouramis" to my tank. They're all best friends. They swim gogether, and sometimes when they swim into each other they "kiss" a little and feel each other with their feelers. No aggression in any of them.

I've tried to figure out their sex, but maybe I have all females...I'm not sure. Their dorsals all look kinda round. Two of the sunsets swim together all the time, the other one is not as social, but they still swim together a lot.

Also, they might not look very red at the store, more like a rusty color. They look nicer in the tank, still rusty looking, but somehow they look good.

Eric
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had a male 3 spot gourami with 2 female gold gouramis. Never had a problem with them.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)13:08    Post subject: gouramis Reply with quote

I have 9 gouramis in a 100ltr tank,

2x dwarf (1 male 1 female)
2x indian banded
2x 3 spot
2x neon red dwarf
1x gold.(the biggest fish in tank)

they all live quite happily,the only bully seems to be the gold,but it seems more playfull than agressive,just make sure you've got lots of hiding places for the shy ones to retreat to,a well planted tank will be kept nice and pruned, mine keep the plants nice and neat by nibbling
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: