Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Time-out bucket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFan92 wrote:
You werent one of the guys that insulted me,
you talked in the plural when only Bob and I had replied...

RaiderFan92 wrote:
When I said buffer room, I meant if I missed my weekly water change because we were on vacation, or some kind of emergency or something like that, missing that one week would really do that much damage to water quality.
Michael L has explained this one already... Size of filters, or effeciency, has nothing to do with total bioload or water quality.

RaiderFan92 wrote:
And about the fish killing each other, I didn't have any time to stop anything. I woke up one morning, and saw a dead firemouth completely shredded.
it is only an accident if you couldn't forsee the event... here, we can... we have all tried to tell you that a small tank for two fish or for an attempted pairing isn't the same as keeping an established pair in a smaller tank.

There are many cichlids where a 60g or larger is required for pairing of fish, where a 29g is enough after that and for the rest of their lives...

RaiderFan92 wrote:
So you guys can think that I'm irresponsible, but I know that I'm plenty responsible.
QUIT PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH...
I would have to reread the whole thread carefully, but I don't recall where anyone said that you are irresponsible... we just think the plan is a really really bad idea and said so... it is you who have extrapolated that into opinions about you.

Reread the entire thread, and pretend that this person, raidarfish is someone else... does the thread look different now?
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say that number6, but everyone that replied to this post implied that.

Bob on Stronsay: I respect your answer, and really thank you, but couldnt I use some small dither fish? Like danios?

Thank you all for your asnwers, but I'm going to put in extra effort to make this work in my tank.

But if it doesn't work, I'm responsible enough to find a good home for them, if its a store or someone I find.

But I'm going to look around online, and find some things I can do to help it work.

I will consider everything you guys said.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFan92 wrote:
But I'm going to look around online, and find some things I can do to help it work.
well, did you put thought into my suggestion of something equivalent to an aquarium? A heater with shield, air driven corner filter in a 20g rubbermaid tub is certainly a more appropriate than a 3g bucket...
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to apologize, Raider_Fan, if I offended you.

I hope everyone realizes the fact that you're on HERE getting help rather than abusing your fish. I know plenty of people who wouldn't even try and find help on a website like this....
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should give Raiderfan the credit of ASKING help BEFORE DOING it.

We all come here for advise from time to time and there is no stupid questions, only not so good ideas that may not work. That's why we want to find it out first before actually trying it.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
RaiderFan92 wrote:
well, did you put thought into my suggestion of something equivalent to an aquarium? A heater with shield, air driven corner filter in a 20g rubbermaid tub is certainly a more appropriate than a 3g bucket...

number6, when I said "To make it work" I wasnt talking about the bucket thing, I was talking about keeping the two firemouths together in the 29 gallon tank, when they get bigger.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much PocketBoy and fishlover, that was exactly what I was trying to say, I just couldnt explain what I was trying to say.
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, RaiderFan. Wink I think the important thing is that you have good intentions.
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You folks had quite the weekend. I just read this thing from the beginning and I gotta say that this is proof that IT PAYS to do your homework before getting ANY fish.

RaiderFan92: You did a pretty good job of keping your cool through all this. And it's a good thing you've asked for help. But please remember Everyone here is
1. Here to help you out
2. Looking out for the fish
3. stating FACTS

I can see there are parts of this hobby you need to learn more about, and thats OK. A lot of us, myself included, are learning more all the time. BUT...There is NO way to provide the proper environmental conditions for two firemouths in a 29 or 30 gallon aquarium. It may look OK with them swimming around and stuff, but as Bob and others have tried to explain, it's not healthy for them. There is no way to "make it work" Sorry

I know from other threads that Bob has a lot of experience with the firemouth cichlid. you should listen to him, get a 55 or bigger if possible. If you can't then I would suggest getting rid of the Firemouths and take a serious look at dwarf cichlid species as you may be able to have a pair in a 30 gallon. I will be putting blue rams in my 30. In the mean time find out all you can about stocking, cycling, and the chemistry/biology involved in an aquarium regardless of its size and filtration. There are some excellent articles right at the beginning of the Forum. They helped me out a bunch, and they'll explain the concepts behind most of the frustrating responses you've received here.

Had to put in my 2 cents, didn't like to see you struggling in here. Good luck and KEEP ASKING Questions if you have any. there are a lot of folks here that want you to succeed
Illusia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just read this whole thread now. Some interesting things were said. I think raiderfan that u get the gist of what people think, but don't take it personally they are just looking out for the fish and making sure that others who read this know what to do.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: