Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Spots on a Convict
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)8:11    Post subject: Spots on a Convict Reply with quote

One of my three convicts looks like one of his scales came off. I also have a GT and a JD. I have noticed that they like to rub themselves against a log or rock as if they are itching. They don't do it all the time but every now and then I catch them doing it. Is this a sign of sickness etc? Any advise in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kodiakbear
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is deffiently irritating their skin, which is why they're flashing on the decor. It's hard to tell what it could be though without further information. Flashing could be from parasites, stress level, or some other form of skin irritation. Please list your tank size and tank occupants and if you can test the water and list that too.
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docholliday wrote:
Something is deffiently irritating their skin, which is why they're flashing on the decor. It's hard to tell what it could be though without further information. Flashing could be from parasites, stress level, or some other form of skin irritation. Please list your tank size and tank occupants and if you can test the water and list that too.

The pH level is 7.4 and I do weekly water changes and use Prime which removes Cholrine, Ammonia etc. They 3 Convicts, 1 GT, and 1 JD are in a 48 gal tank. Thanks for responding

Kodiakbear
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I'm not sure what the problem is. What my knowledge and experience tells me is that it is from stress. Maybe someone knows more than me and I don't want your topic forgotten.

Do all the fish get along in that tank? I assume that there might be enough aggression (even the slightest bit) that is causing the fishes stress coat to build up which, in turn, causes the skin to be irritated.

If the fish are new to the tank this might also add to their stress.

I'm sorry I wasn't much help but I don't want your topic to go without an answer.
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docholliday wrote:
I'm sorry I'm not sure what the problem is. What my knowledge and experience tells me is that it is from stress. Maybe someone knows more than me and I don't want your topic forgotten.

Do all the fish get along in that tank? I assume that there might be enough aggression (even the slightest bit) that is causing the fishes stress coat to build up which, in turn, causes the skin to be irritated.

If the fish are new to the tank this might also add to their stress.

I'm sorry I wasn't much help but I don't want your topic to go without an answer.

This is the king of the tank that is having this problem, so he is not stressed at all. I put some stress coat in, and tablets that suppose to kill parasites though I have not seen any. He is the only fish scratching himself against the rocks etc.

Thanks for replying Kodiakbear Wink
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: