Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Look what I found today - Bronze cory eggs! :D
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)23:45    Post subject: Look what I found today - Bronze cory eggs! :D Reply with quote

Bronze cory eggs!

But as you can see the platies are making an all-you-can-eat snack table out of the ones on the front glass. Razz

I hope that means the cories have settled in and are happy! Very Happy

(Can anyone tell if those eggs are fertilized and actually making baby cories?)
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Do you have anywhere without other fish where you can put the eggs so they can hatch and grow safely?
Also, (for my benifit), what are your tank conditions and how many bronze cories do you have? I was thinking about breeding them myself. Very Happy
Cheers
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome! I wish my cories would breed!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I hadn't even considered it... I have a 5gal that's got totally mature filter media and gravel in it -- I was going to take the 2 tetras out of it, put them in the hex, and replace them with a betta and a snail, but I could try putting the eggs in there to hatch instead. Would a snail eat them? Do you know how to move them without damaging them? Wonder what I would do with them if they survived, hehehe.

It's a 35 gallon hex tank that's been running for almost a month, I cycled it with BioSpira when I added 4 platies, then added 5 cories about 2 1/2 weeks later, including the rescued one from my 5gal, which is a few years old and looks considerably larger than the others. (They look like a momma duck and babies when they're bustling around together; it's cute. Smile) One of the cories got sick immediately and didn't survive, so I have 4 in there now.

I keep the temperature at 76F, the filter is an Aquaclear 70 with sponge and biomax, I've been changing the water about 25% each week though I skipped last week because the nitrates tested pretty low (<12.5mg/l). The ammonia is 0 every time I test, which is about weekly also, usually right before I change the water. The decor is all silk plants and petstore-bought fake caves, standard gravel and a little sandbox of marine sand.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the snail eating them, probably won't, but I'd take it out just to be safe.
I have heard you can remove them with a razor blade by gently sliding it under them, but this could be risky Confused
Thanks for all the info about your tank! Very Happy I might try breeding them.
Also, do you know how many are female/male?
Does anyone know if you need a small group to breed them or will a pair do?
Thanks.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what gender they are! I've looked for information on how to sex them online but all I can really find is that the females are stockier, wider-bodied, especially when viewed from above. I've gotten into the habit of calling the older one a female because she's pretty stocky, but I didn't have another cory to compare her with. And now, they don't sit still long enough to be comparing them! And if I stick my face up too close to the glass, they all hide in the caves. Razz

As for keeping a pair, I do know that cories are definitely shoaling fish, and the more of them there are, the happier they are. (And happier means more likely to breed.) You would want a dozen if you could see them cavorting along the tankglass together. It looks like they're dancing.

EDIT: I just walked through over there and all the eggs on the glass are gone now! Gluttonous platies...
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...in the first pic it's kind of funny to imagine your female sniffing around the whole tank with the little eggs between her fins, and then deciding THAT was the best place to put them Very Happy

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigosh, Marcos, the babies are probably going to go straight up the intake when they hatch, aren't they?? Awww, now I have to figure out if I can get some filter floss in there or cover it somehow without hurting the eggs...

Oh bah. I wasn't planning on corykittens. Shoulda spayed/neutered... :grumble, grumble:
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know much about breeding cories Marcos?

I have a 2ft tank that is set-up and cycled.
Is this big enough for them?
If not, what others would you reccomend?

Also, what do you think about removing the eggs with the razor? Ever heard or done it?

Cheers.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, I only bred Sterbai Cories accidentally, like ceci in this topic. In fact it was even more accidental, since the babies showed up in another, totally unattended tank where I stored plant cuttings from the one where the parents lived. But it was quite an experience...the "babies" are about 5 years old now, and the entire family is living happily in a friend's tank.

But if you search the board or the net for "breeding cories" you'll find out the basics...in addition to fattening them up with good wormy foods, apparently the main issue for intentional breeding is to trick them into thinking the rainy season has come, by letting the water age for a while and then do a water change with water that's a little bit cooler than the tank. You can even come up with a way to make it drip into the tank for added dramatization Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: