Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can a male and female betta live together?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:28    Post subject: Can a male and female betta live together? Reply with quote

I was wondering if a male betta and a female betta can both live in a 10 gallon without a divider. I am trying to figure out a stocking plan while the tank is cycling.

So far I figure I want 2 platies, 3 white clouds (I already have them in my other tank), and a betta. I like the look of the male bettas but saw a really pretty female at the fish store the other day and was wondering if she would work with a male. I know it's a dumb question, but I want to find out before buying fish that are not compatable.

Also, how long can a betta live in those little jars they're sold in? I only ask because I want to know if it's OK to keep them in there until my tank is done cycling or if I just need to wait to buy one (hopefully the one I really like won't sell by then). Thanks.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a male and a female betta can be kept together (at least mine were able to), although, the male might become a bit aggresive to the female (trying to breed most likely). In this case, you will need a few females to spread the aggresion, the more the better, (be carefull to not overstock your tank though!)

Not sure how long they can live in those jars for. Is it possible to reserve the fighter you want? Or buy it and put it in with your white clouds until the tank is ready?

Last edited by Flame Angel on 2007.01.12(Fri)19:47; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I bought was in it for 1 week before I bought him, but his neighbor was there for like 1 month(very pretty white one, not sure why no one bought him), so I would say no longer than 4- 7 days, but, I would reserve it if possible.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of this working in extremely rare cases, usually where the male and females are very young and/or are brothers and sisters.

That said, my advice to you is NO, do NOT keep the male and female bettas together. They may seem like they're getting along at first, but eventually one is going to see weaknesses in the other and, being fighting fish, they will press that advantage. Males and females will typically only breed if conditioned properly and housed in an appropriate spawning setup. Both are territorial, and if they aren't there to breed, they're there to fight. Males will terrorize females until they're never seen anymore, and then they are often starved out and perish. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it may come down to females attacking lone males, especially if you have more than one. All in all, it seems to lead to only stress. You may get some people telling you differently, but I think this is what the majority of the fish community (Especially Betta enthusiasts) will agree on.

I would keep a lone male betta with your setup. Lone females do well too, but I think that the beauty of a male betta is nearly unsurpassed in the fish world. :3 Multiple females would need to be kept in a group of at least three, with five being a better number simply to even out the aggression, and I think this would be too many fish in your 10 gallon.

While it's not the most comfortable setting obviously, bettas can live long periods of time in the cup that they're sold in as long as the water is changed every day. I keep newcomer bettas in 1/4 gallon jars, and depending on how long it takes me to find room for them in a larger home, it's sometimes a month or two before they get out of the jars. n_n'' As I said though, this is granted that the water is changed completely every day or, at MOST, every two days.
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I've decided to only get one betta, I just haven't decided on whether it will be male or female. The female I really liked was gone today so that solves that problem! I'm still fairly new at fishkeeping, so I'm trying to do research to avoid problems.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Males are the better lookers, with hteir elaborate finnage, but they are easy targets for fin nippers.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A male betta should do very well in your setup. He will surely make a beautiful centerpiece fish. n__n Keep a look out for aggression problems at first, and be sure that his fins are not being nipped, but I think it will be a very peaceful community. Good luck!
tropicalgurlie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male and female betta's should not be together, only when they are breeding. Other than that they will fight and rip off each others fins. It's not wise. So keep them apart or else they will kill each other.
On another note:
Two or more females may be kept together. They are not aggressive like the males. So if you want two bettas in your tank stick with females.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: