Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I can't breed Guppies!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)16:53    Post subject: I can't breed Guppies!! Reply with quote

How can anyone not get Guppies to breed? I've got four females and one male in a 10 gln. tank (they are the only fish in there) with fake plants, no substrate. The sole purpose of the tank is to breed fry. In nine months I've gotten two, count them, two Guppy fry!
Are the adults eating them? Is the male impotent?
It's hard water (300 GH) with 0 Nitrate, 0 Ammonia, 20 Nitrate, 180 KH and pH is 7.8. The temp is held at 78F. Is this not suitable water conditions for Guppies?
Anyone have any ideas or knowledge about this?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess you have been supplying Guppy food Wink

Have the females been getting pregnant?

They normally give birth to between 20 and 40 young !! Per female per month.

If they are actually getting pregnant, make sure you have plenty of cover, piles of large pebbles with gaps in work well (The females will try and give birth above them). Also get lots of Jave moss.

This should increase your yield.

If they ain't getting pregnant, get another male for some competition.

Bob
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some java moss, it helps a lot.

And that male may be old and be having a hard time catching the females to.......um..........you know Embarassed .......

If his spine is bent, that might be the problem. Slightly bent, not a perfect V shape.

Or maybe the male is just sterile, and the only reason you got fry at all is because of the females being pregnat from the store?

Thats all I got.
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've seen some fry I'd just bet that they're breeding OK, but as was said, they're getting eaten.

The more cover/hiding places you can offer the fry, the greater chance you give them in surviving. Try some floating plants too, like water lettuce. The runners that water lettuce put down offered excellent protection for our fry.

Jon
Accidental Breeder of Rabbits.. er.. Guppies.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good suggestions that I will follow. These Guppies all came to me from a friend as babies last spring so I know the male isn't too old and I know the females didn't come pregnant as they were too young when I got them. I'm going to add more plants and see if that helps. Thanks much.
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jon_the_ Newb,

I have a 10 g with 3 females and 1 male. A couple of weeks ago I saw about 12 fry over the next couple of days they all disappeared. This tank has plenty of hornwort floating and loads of places for fry to hide, but I think they must get caught overnight. Frustrating.

I've only had 1 survive. The Guppies are like Platys in that respect, they will eat anything and everything that looks like food.
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming, on a 10Gallon, you don't have an external canister filter. I have a Rena Filstar XP2 on my 29 gallon, one day while cleaning it, we found atleast a dozen fry living happily in the bottom of it. If you have an external filter, you might look in there as well.

Jon
sharkbait
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:36    Post subject: Hard To Believe.......none? Reply with quote

I would have to say your adding extra food via fry. I had only 2f, 1m in my tank and within 2months, also had at least 50 fry. Thank my LFS for helping out. Beware,.....as others will tell you .....your asking for trouble....when they do start or become successfull....you'll have continual fry and they will become a nuisance. But good luck to you ....
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkbait - I want tons of fry as food for the fish in my other tank (Angels). That is actually the sole purpose of my Guppy tank (sorry to those who think that's mean but that's some of what they eat in the wild and I like to give my fish as close to a natural diet as possible.).
sharkbait
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)16:56    Post subject: I see ....!!! Reply with quote

Well then, yes....thats the way to go (having your own "feeders") saves money and keeps unwanted LFS problems. Not to worry, clean water, about 78F degrees, and everything else will fall into place soon. Good luck till then.....it WILL happen ...lol...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: