Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
flourite plant substrate
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)15:25    Post subject: flourite plant substrate Reply with quote

So I took all fish, plants, decorations out of my 20G tank to add some flourite plant substrate to the tank.

So I took a cup, got it filled halfway with the flourite, put it under a running faucet until the water in the cup was overflowing clear water, then I would mix it around in the cup and wait till it ran clear again. It was taking forever with that tiny amount so I just put what was in the cup in the tank and now its so cloudy I can't see the back of the tank!!

Is this what its supposed to do? What can I do so it doesn't cloud it up more!!?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing, just wait. If you have carbon in your filter that will help. Flourite gets very cloudy, but your fish will be OK.
'Cathy
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the substrate section of my Guide I have a great method for rinsing substrates.

The problem you will have by not rinsing it is any time the substrate is disturbed you will end up with a cloud in the water. And it can take more than a week with a standard filter for that dust cloud you have now to go away.

Semper Fi
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what rex's recommendations are on his site, but in my own experience, I've always used 2 buckets, one bucket for the rinsing, with plenty of water and lots and lots of swishing and movement (gotta really get in there and mix up the substrate) and the other bucket to quickly hold the clean substrate. I recently did 2 tank set ups and the cloudy water disappeared within hours.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cloud disapeared within about an hour. The bag said it would, but my problem was that no matter how long I rinsed the substrate it would keep coming out dirty! But I guess its all over now... I didn't use much of that stuff though.

I am planning on making a densely planted tank soon so I will use the rest for that.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't wash enough. take about 2-3 hand fulls and put it into a bucket and wash it. simple.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: