Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
trimming, replanting, and general care questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:35    Post subject: trimming, replanting, and general care questions Reply with quote

I've now got in my 29 gallon, 1 bunch of Anacharis, 1 bunch of Wisteria, 1 bunch of Moneywort, 1 bunch of Java Ferns and 2 bunches of Mondo grass. The Wisteria and Anaracharis are growing like wildfire, and I needed to find out how to trim then and replant them so I can get more plants in the tank. Are all plants handled the same? Where do I trim them at? How much? How do I replant them?

I know this is a lot. I'm also doing some reading from the links given to me on my previous thread. I really appreciate any and all advice and info that can be given! Thank you!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I notice you said you have mondo grass. This is not a true aquatic and will die and pollute your tank.

Wisteria can be trimmed by removing the top portion that is too tall with sharp scizzors. Then you can replant the top part, if you want, and it will grow into a new plant. Really any leaf you take off the mother plant should grow roots and become it's own plant. You should also know that every once and a while, though annoying, this plant turns sort of brown and dies. However, if you leave the leaves in there they might grow babies. That is unless they are completely mushy and dead.

Trim the anacharis by cutting right above the node where the leaves come out. Remember to leave a few inches, which you will place the plant in the gravel. To replant it take off the leaves about an inch or two from the bottom. If you bury them they might rot and cause the rest of the stem to rot.

Anymore questions feel free to ask. Very Happy

http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/0602.html
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice! I will remove the mondo grass immediately! I'll try to get my husband to post a pic soon so that you can see the tank! It's sparse now b/c I took out the plastic plants, but I wanted real plants so badly!!! Once you start, you just can't stop!
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the mondo grass back and got 3 corkscrew val plants. I also got some java moss finally. I tied the java moss to my driftwood and to a couple of fake decos to see if they will root. $ right now will not allow me to buy anymore rock or driftwood. I also clipped some anacharis and wisteria and replanted them in the tank. The tank is looking a bit more filled out now because of the java moss on the driftwood. It's really amazing what one plant will do! I can't wait to see it spread out more! Thank you again for the help!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of lighting do you have? Generally vals will need more light than the stock lighting that came with the tank. However, it could be fine. Are you adding fertilizer of any kind?
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have the regular light that came with the hood. No, I have not done any type of fertilizer. Do I need to? If so, what do I do? Thanks!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are not going fully planted with a lot of light you shouldn't need anything really expensive. Have you taken a look at www.rexgrigg.com yet? You could try seachem's product line. They make Flourish and Flourish Excel. Flourish provides plants with the basic micronutrients and Flourish Excel gives them Carbon to grow. Carbon is the building block of live on our planet. However, with your low lighting I don't think you will be needing macro fertilizers, since your plants won't be growing that fast. Regular water changes should bring in the nutrients your plants need. It is when you have a high light tank that the plants run out of nutrients and stop growing and aquire deficiencies. Rex Grigg's guide explains a lot, so you should read it.
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading that site, as well as the others you recommended. My understanding was that with the plants I got and with regular light, I didn't need to add anything to the water right now. So, that's how I planned it, anyway. If I need to add anything down the line, I will! Smile Thanks again for all your help! The links you've provided have been invaluable!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much. It is usually a good idea to have some source of carbon. Excel provides a source of carbon, and even though you can get by without it, your plants will grow a lot better.
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see where to get that carbon! I want my plants to do well. I think I've mentioned before, I have a total black thumb with house plants, but I was told that aquarium plants are a lot different!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: