Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Glancing
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)10:07    Post subject: Glancing Reply with quote

I saw my cory glance three weeks ago on the gravel. In the three weeks I've had him in my tank I only seen him do this 2 times and usually it only happens for like 2 seconds and he's off swimming normally again. Yesterday I saw my blood parrot glance on a piece of wood, again only for a couple of seconds and be off again. Every fish in my tank eat good, haven't seen any ich on any of the fish. Should I treat the tank for ich or should I wait and see if ich develops? Anyone have any similar experiences? Did it result in ich? Does water changes cause glancing sometimes too? because I saw my parrot do it after I did a water change, it wasn't immediate though it was like 5 hours hours after I did it. Water right now is at 77 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 ppm nitrates. Also pH is 7.6.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That behavior is typically called flashing. It means something is bugging the fish's skin.
Cories are especially prone to doing this once in a while.

You don't say how much or often you change the water, nor how big the tank is, the inhabitants, how well you vaccuum, etc. If you provide this info, people can help determine if your maintanence is adequate or needs to get stepped up.

I would recommend adding fresh activated carbon to the filter, and just keeping an eye on the fish for now.
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 75 gallon tank with two blood parrots and 6 sterbai cories. I do 20 percent water change twice a week as I vacuum the gravel which I clean throughly until the big piece on the siphon is clear.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes cichlids glance/flash off things to signify their territory. Your cory however might just have been itchy. Have you added anything new to the tank? I agree, don't treat yet. Watch and wait. Also, sometimes tap water can change a bit, this might make them feel itchy...

Depending on how many other fish in there, you might need to set up the size of your water changes, but do a big one only once/week. When you do 2 20% ones, I think that really you are only removing 10% of the old dirty water? Does this make sense? More old water would come out of the tank if you changed 40% once/week...

But, it is good that you do a thorough gravel vac.
Cathy
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard if you do more than 20 percent at one time it will stress the fish out. I might just do 20 percent water changes more often though.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two water changes of 20% is roughly the same as one at 35%. Seems like a pretty good amount to me.

Honestly, I have no idea why the fish would be flashing. My cories do it on occasion and haven't had any visable health problems in the 1+ year I've owned them.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are really clumsy and loud and splashy, doing bigger than 20% water changes are NOT going to be troublesome for you fish. In fact, as long as the temperatures and the water hardness,etc is the same, they will live longer and be far healthier in cleaner water.

Many fish breeders/gurus do 50% more than once week, in fact some do it daily...

WHenever you are taking water out of your tank, you are removing pathogens, parasites, bad bacteria, etc. You are giving your fish their clean environment. Clean does not stress. (Unless your tank has Old Tank Syndrome - then doing a 20 off the bat will be harmful)

Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: