Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Green Water (still)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)18:43    Post subject: Green Water (still) Reply with quote

I had posted a topic on this about a week or more ago, cannot find it now. Anyway green water is still persistant. I had suggestions from using an algacide that didn't harm plants, to doing 10-15% water change every couple of days. Well at this time the green water doesn't appear to be getting any worse, been doing the water changes. My plants are doing very well (green hygro and dwarf sag). I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get some more plants to help out compete the GW? I do not like to get anything for the tank if I have problems, but in this case since my current plants are doing so well I thought that more might help to DESTROY the GW. Comments anyone? If you want tank params here they are:
29Gal Long pH 6.9 KH 6 Nitrate 5ppm total wattage 2.75w/gal standard flourecent.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)21:41    Post subject: Tell us more Reply with quote

What fish and plants do you have in the tank?

What sort of chemicals have you added to the tank so far?

How long has this tank been set up? Is the algae new or ongoing since setup?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, first let me say, Green Water (GW) effects everyone at some point that keeps planted tanks...especially venerable during the startup phase. I'm started another 75G tank (approx 7 weeks old) and I just cleared a rather nasty episode of GW. Adding fast growing plants and doing water changes may eventually cure the problem, however, IMO it's better to eliminate the GW first, then re-set all nutrient levels once it's cleared. Going the other way is very difficult because the algae is so much better at scavenging nutrients...the plants will actually starve while the algae flourishes. Here's my GW speech...BTW, I used method number 2 to clear my GW in about 36 hours...I used a Magnum 350 without diatom powder, just the Micro Cartridge.

The situation that causes GW (Green Water) is usually a combination of high NO3, PO4, and mixed in some NH3/NH4+. Substrate disturbance is usually the culprit. What happens is the algae (GW form) will flourish off of the NH3/NH4+ and PO4. Remembering that algae can consume PO4 easier than plants because of their thin cell walls, the algae uses up the NH3/NH4+ and PO4, but it doesn't go away...because algae can quickly switch which nutrient it scavenges...it moves to NO3. So you can see why water changes will not rid a tank of GW. Nutrients can be reduced very low in GW and fairly quickly by the GW algaes, but they can scavenge other nutrients...iron and trace elements. So, it's very common for the GW to solve the situation that causes it to begin with, but that won't eliminate the GW, for the reasons I've allude to. Four methods exist to eliminate GW. Blackout, Diatom Filtering, UV Sterilization, and Chemical algaecides/flocculents. The first three cause no harm to fish, the fourth one does.

Method No. 1

The blackout means covering the tank for 4 days, no light whatsoever is allowed into the tank during this time. Be prepared, killing the algae will result in dead decaying algae that will decompose and pollute the water. Water changes are needed at the end of the blackout time and NH3 should be monitored also.

Method No.2

Diatom filters can usually be rented from your LFS. This is my preferred method. Personally, I use my Magnum 350 w/Micron Cartridge coated with diatom powder. Diatom filtering removes the algae and doesn
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the tank setup for about 9 months now, and have had plants all this time. Again not a large amount of plantings. I really cannot account for the GW, accept maybe just adding too much of a good thing. I am pretty carefull about adding ferts for the plants, but that is about the only thing that I can account for. I have tried a phosphate pillow to remove excess, but the pillow really never changed color as I was expecting it too. I have tried a black out for 5days and doing a water change just before and just after. After the lights came back on later that day it was almost back to what it looked like before. I am going to check with a LFS in my area and see if they will rent me a filter for awhile. Thanks for the info.
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I just fixed a tank for a friend of mine. She had green water so bad that you could barely see through the tank. The only methods that I have ever used are Blackout as mentioned by Steve, and either separately or in combination with blackout, filter the water through polyester quilt batting at the output of your filter. One modification I would make to Steve's method number one is to change around 25 to 30 % of the water prior to blackout, and another 25 to 30% after the black out. My friend's tank went from cloudy to clear in 4 days. I then had her put the light on a timer or not use the light except for viewing (non-planted tank) and move the tank away from the patio door. No more algae problem.
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so the batting is fine enough to capture the very small partical of GW??? I will give this a try and see what happens.
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve you commented you used a Magnum 350. Since the size of my tank is not large 29gal, can the Magnum HOT be outfitted for diatom filerting? I see that it has the micron filtering capability. If this would work I was thinking of keeping this and using for the tank. Hate to waste money on a rental if problem reappears. Anyone else?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Steve you commented you used a Magnum 350. Since the size of my tank is not large 29gal, can the Magnum HOT be outfitted for diatom filtering? I see that it has the micron filtering capability. If this would work I was thinking of keeping this and using for the tank. Hate to waste money on a rental if problem reappears. Anyone else?

Yes Chuck, the HOT Magnum can be used with the Micron Cartridge alone or it can be coated with diatom powder. I believe 2la has used his HOT Magnum as a diatom. You have noted one of the big advantages the Magnum line has over the Vortex...dual purpose. The Magnums can switch from being everyday filters to become water polishing or diatom filters with a few minutes work to make the changeover. The Vortex can't be used continuously and really must be cleaned after each use. The Micron cartridge will eventually (mine took about 36 hours of a 75G tank) clear green water completely, but if you diatom coat the Micron cartridge it will clear the water in a few minutes to maybe a couple of hours maximum.
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.18(Tue)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Steve I think I am gonna make a purchase
Chuck
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.20(Thu)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made the purchase of a HOT Magnum, and just put it in last night. I did not coat the micron cartridge with diatom powder, wanted to see what would happen first. If/when I do want to use the diatom powder are there any suggestions on coating the cartridege with the diatom powder? There are no helpfull hints or anything in the manual. Also will any packaged diatom powder for filters work in any filter?
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: