Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
java moss help
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mda_dj
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)11:38    Post subject: java moss help Reply with quote

hope some one can help,I have (sorry had) a piece of jarva moss approx 2 inch,I weighted half of it in my gravel and tied the other half to a piece of bogwood,less than an hour later my gouramis had ripped it all out and what the filter didn't take was left floating around,what did I do wrong Question
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gouramis were probably trying to build a nest. If they're determined to have that moss, they'll get it. Doesn't matter how well you wrap it. You could try wrapping it and letting it grow in a separate container for a while, but odds are that they'll try to tear it apart on you again. Gourami are fairly well known for that.
mda_dj
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,they went straight for it,as did my red tail shark,I've tried to hide it under the bogwood but they soon found it,I'm worried now that when they shredded it,a lot of pieces seem to be on the leaves of my other plants,its probably a real stupid question,but could that affect the other plants or do I need to dig them out and clean them???
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can grow on them... and all over your gravel... but that's mostly an aesthetic issue. Unless it gets really thick and chokes out the light, it won't hurt your plants. Even a small piece can grow, though, so you may end up with a tank full of moss!
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've saw on the net and I'm going to try (someday) a moss wall. from what I've saw, you get the fiber glass screen (FGS, like on your front door to your house) and you fold the FGS in 1/2 and put the moss inside. sew the ends closed and suction cup it to the back of the tank. The moss will grow through. Maybe you could use some FGS or a old fishnet without the handle and put the moss inside and burry the open end and let the moss grow inside till it starts to grow through. I've saw this on some pics when I googled it and it looks cool. just some info to try. I has a very small one growing and to the best of my knowledge the FGS did not affect the fish in the tank.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: