Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angel fish confusion
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
thenuggetuk
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)5:54    Post subject: Angel fish confusion Reply with quote

I have a pair of breeding angel fish who have laid several times. The thing is when I look at them the next day they are all gone. I thought this might just be because the female is not happy with the place she laid so ate them herself.

She laid a couple of days ago and I decided this time I would try and help. so I put the eggs in a hatchery box in the tank. The next day I looked and most of the eggs had disappered, I was extremely confused. The day after all of the eggs had gone and no signs of any little babies anywhere!!!

I am so confused what is going on!!???!?!?! Confused

Any help would be appreciated thanks xx
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly are you sure you have a "Pair" of Angels, it's not unknown to have two females (one doing the male bit) with eggs, they normally loose interest and eat them (They must sense they aren't viable eggs.

The best way to sex a pair of Angels, is after about four days, the eggs become wrigglers, they develop a tail and you can see them wriggling about. They normally become free swimming another four days after the wriggling stage.

If you know what you are looking for you can also sex Angels by looking at their sex organs.

What is your tank set up (Size, full stock list etc)? Do you have any fish or shrimps that could get into the box?

Bob
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that the eggs aren't fertalized. Plus, its not UNcommon for angels to be less-than good parents.... lol
thenuggetuk
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 100%certain that they are a pair as obviously the female is the one that lays eggs and the male has a pointed organ. They have never lived for more then 3days and I have nothing that can get into the box.

I have a 5ft tank with bog wood and some plants. I have an internal filter.
The fish in there at the moment are few guppies, few mollies, 2platies and 2gourami. I know my tank is not over stocked at all and all the tests are fine.

I just wonder why they just disappear like that especially in a confined box Confused
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to raise Angel fry, the best way to do it, is to raise them in a seperate tank, I would set up a 10 gallon, with a UG filter, next time the Angels lay eggs move whatever they have layed them on into the other tank. Some people treat the eggs with a small dose of Methaline Blue, but I am not sure this is needed with Angel eggs, as long as you do daily water changes (I use water out of the main tank, and top the main tank up with de-chlorinated water).

By trying this, the chances are they will live long enough to see if they are viable (4 days to wriggler stage). You only need to start feeding 24 hours after they are free swimming.

As to how they have disappeared out of a box, I have no idea, I can only assume a fish got in and ate them !!!! Then got out again.

Bob
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if there is little cracks in the box to allow for circulation the fish will suck the fry or eggs through the cracks. I've seen this happen to my convict fry. Just when you think their safe too.
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. My Rose (my convict mother) would suck them out of ALL kinds of places... even when they went under the under-gravel filter...

NO parents quite like Cons. I don't care if people equate them to roaches. They're the best parents. Razz lol
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: