Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Danios Nippers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)22:21    Post subject: Danios Nippers? Reply with quote

I know that danios are known for nippy tendencies, but do you think they will go after my male betta if I put him in with them. There are 3 danios and it is a 10 gallon tank, which I know is probably not ideal for these crazy fish. Problem is the only stores I have around me that sell fish are Petco and Walmart, and so far these are the only survivors out of that stock.
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with this?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say Danios are not ideal for a 10 gallon, and yes they can be very nippy. The best way to keep them is in a larger tank, with plenty of swimming room, and a much larger shoal, so they can play about between themselves.

Betta's ideally prefer slower swimming fish, they may well get a bit annoyed by the Danios flying by, and could well become nipped, but the only real way to tell, is to try it.

Do you have a plan B (Another tank etc) if it doesn't work.

Bob
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now my betta is in his 5 gallon tank by himself. I was just trying to see if he could go over there and I could get another betta to go in his tank. But oh well if I can't I can try other fish I suppose. I just wish everything I got from Petco would not be diseased and weak and die within the first week.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily tested, just put the betta in there and transfer him back if he starts getting picked on. I've done it before - the danios took a couple of nips as soon as I put the betta in then ignored him completely for the months afterward that they were together.

I also think that you are going to be seeing bullying occur with only 3 danios, you will almost certainly have a dominant one that will chase the other two away.
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
Easily tested, just put the betta in there and transfer him back if he starts getting picked on. I've done it before - the danios took a couple of nips as soon as I put the betta in then ignored him completely for the months afterward that they were together.

I also think that you are going to be seeing bullying occur with only 3 danios, you will almost certainly have a dominant one that will chase the other two away.

It's just that I don't want to depress my betta. If he goes into the 10 gallon he'll know there is a bigger world out there somewhere, but he is trapped. Am I getting all psychological again? Rolling Eyes I did that to one betta and he lost his will to live and just sat on the bottom after that. I love my GiGi ( yeah, he's a pretty boy) too much to do that to him, just in case that does happen. Crying or Very sad

As for the danios they have been in there for quite a while and the tank is heavily planted. They seem pretty laid back now that they are used to things and the pecking order is established.
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still could give it a try! Wink

My mom was able to keep two dwarf puffers in an aquarium with her betta. It was the cutest thing... and puffers are the kings of fin nipping!

The betta would just flare up his fins and chase them off. Looked like a lion. So the puffers never got the chance to nip him.

Worth a try.
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of danios are you talking about? I have three regular zebra danios in with my betta and they have never nipped his fins. Sometimes they zip in and steal his food...but they don't eat him! Smile

As for their speed being irritating to bettas...I have found that their activity level seemed to perk up an otherwise slightly lazy betta. But other than that, he completely ignores them.
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are zebra danios and that is also something I would worry about. Since he isn't as streamlined as them, he might not be able to get any food.
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make sure I distract the danios with some food in one corner and then drop food right on top of my betta....he figures it out. Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: