Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tuberculosis
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISH4LIFE
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:38    Post subject: tuberculosis Reply with quote

I was wondering since one of my zebra danios has tuberclosis and I would like to know if there is any way to get rid of it or if it can spread to the other fish and if I would have to put the danio in a different tank???
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fish has tuberculosis I would recommend getting rid of it. Not only could your other fish catch it but it can also be spread to you, especially if you have open wounds on your hands when you touch the aquarium water.

The following quote is directly from the "Articles" section of this site:

Quote:
Tuberculosis
Symptoms are Hollow belly, Knife back, Pale skin, Bending of spine. They also lose their appetite which does not help them. If suspected, it is best to dispose of the fish immediately. Tuberculosis can be passed on to humans, but only if you have open wounds on your hands when placing them in the aquarium.

Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put in some more here.

Fish tuberculosis is caused by a different bacteria to that which causes the human disease. The fish version is most likely only effective in cold blooded animals and most information seems to show it is very unlikely it can be passed from fish to animal. It does happen but only very very rarely, so it's not impossible, just very unlikely.
Marine TB which affect fish is a different bacyeria again and is easier to transmit to humans.

Also fish TB is very very common and seeing as fish keeping is common also, if there was a real threat of infection you would hear about it.

Best ideas would be to remove the fish and put it down. This will protect the rest of thyour tank. Also as a precaution don't handle it too much and wash your hands and any tools you use such and nets etc.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: