Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Clown and Dojo Loach
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISH4LIFE
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:24    Post subject: Clown and Dojo Loach Reply with quote

I have a 55 g tank 2 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, 1 or 3 glass catfish, 1 albino cory catfish, 3 red platties and soon will be getting some baby tiger barbs from an uncle and I was wondering if a clown loach and a dojo loach are good to get.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Dojo - someone else will have to answer that.
Clown loaches need to be in schools of at least three and get quite large. They need a minimum 120 gln. tank - so, no, you shouldn't get any for your 55 gln.
Also, Tetras are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least five or six. You should add a few more Neons to make them happy and comfortable.
Cories are also schooling fish and should be in groups of four or more. You could easily add more to your tank.
Tiger Barbs can be fin nippers and cause problems with other fish in a community tank. However, many people say that having them in larger schools (10 or more fish) stop that behavior, or keep it to a minimum. So - get a larger school and then keep an eye on them with the other fish.
You have a lot of options with that size tank - have fun learning about which fish will work for you.
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1 or 3 glass catfish

are you not sure how many you have or are you asking how many to get. sorry, I just think I missed something there.
the clown loach is deffinitly out.
I would add about 3 more neons, 2 or 3 more albino corries, as well as 2 or 3 more zebra dannios. Most smaller fish tend to behaive more naturally and are less stressed when they have a good number of tank mates of the same species. Sounds like you have a really nice tank though. Very Happy
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Fiffy here. You'll be happier with the fish you have if you increase their schools so that you can see their natural behavior (schooling, etc.). It's healthier for the fish, as well. Glass cats, cories, tetras and danios are all fish that are best kept in groups: at least 6-8 for the tetras and danios, and 3-5 for glass cats and cories (more is better in both cases, though. Large schools of fish are very impressive).
Clown loaches are out. For all that they are slow growers, they will still outgrow the tank in a little over a year, and they are a royal pain to catch and remove. Dojo loaches require a substrate they can burrow in and also get quite large. Although I haven't personally kept them, I don't believe they would come recommended to a tank smaller than 75 gallons.
How about yoyo or kuhli loaches? They stay smaller than the other loaches you mentioned. Just keep in mind, loaches like groups. You should get 3-4 of them.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: