Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a mystrious killer...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:15    Post subject: a mystrious killer... Reply with quote

well I wasn't sure what topic I should put this in so I decided this was best, I was paying attaion to my 30 gallon and noticed a snail, a dead snail. some fish had ripped off the trap door and pulled it out, I know this because I found the trap door a little ways away. if you read my sig at the bottom you will see the stocknig list, any help would be very much aprrecatied, thanks.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the eel or goby, but it could be any of those fish except the rainbows
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Sorry about the snail. Sad

I had a snail once. Her name was Princess and she went through numerous fish. Eating them whole!!! I never found out what kind of snail she was but she had white flesh and a green shell.

Oh, and she didn't just eat fish. She would eat cucumber too.
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling it was the eel because when I was hand feeding him (they can barly see so you sorta have to) he missed and bit my finger and it took quite a while to get it free with out hurting him. they have really strong and large jaws and possibly large enough to rip of the trap door of a snail.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your eel can bit into your finger, I would worry about other fish in the tank too.

Imaging if these jaws bite on a fish. Would he let the fish go? He could be hunting at night and catch the fish asleep.
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

he can barly leave the bottom of the tank as he has no fins, he just "slithers" through the water. these arnt real fish, they are amphibious but must live underwater. none of the other fish go down to the bottom at night and he normaly curls up beside his favirote plant. I tihnk I have only seen him once moving around at night and the tanks are in my room so I can watch him pretty well. nothing has happend since so I am begaing to think that the snail died and was eaten.
thanks for all the help.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: