Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What fish to get?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISH4LIFE
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:53    Post subject: What fish to get? Reply with quote

I used to have a 15 gallon so I had some small tetras and some platties and such and now I got a new 55 gallon tank are there any big fish that I can get that will not eat the other fish that I already have. and would I be able to put freshwater angelfish in the tank? Question
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Angelfish could fit in a 55 gallon tank, but I'm not sure if it will eat the small fish, but I don't think so, unless they're really small. I would say if you do put it with small fish like tetras, put the tetras in first

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have two Angelfish in that tank with some other smaller, schooling fish. However, any fish that is torpedo shaped and the size of a Cardinal tetra or smaller is fair game to Angels and will possibly be eaten by them. It may not happen in the first few months but it will likely happen.
I have heard that if you have the smaller fish first and then add the Angels as babies and they grow up together the Angels won't eat them. I don't know if that's true, I wouldn't want to take the chance if they were my fish. (Having said that, I had Cardinals with my two Angels in my 55 gln. for about nine months and never had an issue. I have now moved the Cardinals to another tank because I didn't want to loose them to the Angels as they are getting much bigger.)
Some other suggestions would be a pair of Gouramis, a small pleco (Bristlenose, Rubbernose or such), a school of almost any type of Tetras, a school of Barbs. Now - you can't have all these ... these are ideas to look into. You should take some time to look through the gallery at the fish and see what you like. Research them on Google and then come back and ask here to see if they would work in your tank.
Have fun - picking your fish is one of the most fun parts of fishkeeping!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: