Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I need help with goldfish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FISH4LIFE
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:48    Post subject: I need help with goldfish Reply with quote

I have a younger cousin that has just gotten a ten gallon tank from a friend with a koi that is almost as big as the tank what should my cousin do and why is it not a good idea to put goldfish in a ten gallon tank?
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cousin should trade or sell the koi to a local fish store or to a person who has a pond or appropriate, very large, aquarium.

It is not a good idea to keep goldfish in a ten gallon tank for the same reason that it is not a good idea to keep a human being in a 3'x3' cage: They don't fit.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fish4life, Goldfish need at least 1-2 gallons of water per inch, and the goldfish certainly shouldn't take up the whole tank, it might become stressed out from lack of space or oxygen and soon maybe even die.

You should at least tell your cousin to upgrade to a 20 gallon tank, or take it out and get smaller fish, hope this helps

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK first: That poor Koi needs to be rehomed as quickly as possible. Think of yourself living in a 5x7 bathroom. Someone gives you food, you can't leave but you can survive in there for a long time ... would you want to?

Koi get very large, here's one site I found with good information http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/intro.html Koi and Goldfish, are very messy. They produce a lot of waste, thus they need excellent filtration. Because they can grow so large in a relatively short time period they need a very, very large 'home' so they don't become stunted. They will also suffer from stress and possible disease due to stress in a small tank - that affects the length of their lives.

I would ask your cousin to please take the Koi to a fishstore or find someone with a large pond that is suited for Koi to take it. That ten gallon tank can certainly be used for some fish but not Koi or Goldfish. If your cousin would like to learn about what types of fish he/she can have in that tank have him/her come here and we would love to help educate them and put together a proper fishkeeping tank.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

FISH4LIFE: Koi should only be kept in ponds or very large (hundreds and hundreds of gallons) specialized tanks because of their potential size and the space and oxygen they require for proper health and growth. They are capable of growing 24 to 36 inches long! I've read plenty of anecdotes here and there about koi that recognize their owners and come when called, etc, so it just seems a cruel thing to keep such an intelligent fish in such a cramped, uncomfortable space. Sad

P.S. Please don't follow or propagate the 1 (or even 2) gallon per inch rule for goldfish. They produce way too much waste for that. If you followed that rule, you could keep some varieties of fancy goldfish in a 5 or 10 gallon tank, and that's just not good for them. Also remember you should always stock according to maximum size for the fish you're stocking.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: