Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My new Farlowella
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, Osprey, I didn't think he was nearly that big from the pictures! What a great tank. Smile

How did you cultivate the algae? just let sunlight hit the tank? I've never had a bit of algae in my tanks, but they're not where the sunlight can reach from the windows. I've read that platies like to nibble on algae and I've wondered if it's crazy to try to grow just a little in there for them as a treat...
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank does recieve a wee bit of morning sunlight, but not much. I extended the time the lights were on by two hours (to 14 hours a day) and overfed a tiny bit to cause a nutrient imbalance (something I can get away with b/c the tank was grossly understocked). With higher phosphates and nitrates and lots of light...
Well, you get the picture. Scary thing is, between the farlowella and the snails I recently moved into this tank, the algae has almost dissapeared. I'm adding some zucchini today and we'll see if anyone other than the usual oto trio expresses interest.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Osprey!
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osprey wrote:
no QT on my freshwater fish :oops: . Foolish, I know, especially given that I know Colby doesn't QT them in store, but to be honest, I'm running out of room for more tanks and there aren't many fish in the 46 right now.

lol I understand the feeling. I still don't have a QT, don't really have the space to set one up. Though, someone suggested to me that I get a smallish Rubbermaid tub (like a 10g equivalent) from Wal-Mart and use that only when I need it. Since the tub would come with a lid and it's durable plastic, it would help with storing the equipment when I'm not using it so things don't get damaged. The filter sponge I'd just put in one of the other tanks.
damo_araimbo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some cucumber in for mine the other day but I suspect the only diners have been the black red-tail shark and the snails.. my farlowellas seem happy to eat the vegetation and some algae.... are you going to feed yours algae wafers at all?
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha wow I've never seen anything like that before!
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I've been trying a number of different foods, and I've been frustrated by the fact that, although they always disappear overnight, I can never tell who is eating them. Finally, today I caught Farley chowing down on an algae pellet.

Well... perhaps fighting over the algae pellet is a better description...
Fighting over algae pellet
Eventually, he yanked it away from the snail, as seen here:

But snails are stubborn critters... the snail came back, and after a lengthy tussle, they split the pellet in two. Hopefully he's been getting some of the zucchini I've been putting in the tank, as well. I'm sure there isn't enough algae in the tank anymore for him to survive on without supplemental feeding.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: