Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Good bottom dwellers for a 10 gallon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)17:48    Post subject: Good bottom dwellers for a 10 gallon? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm cycling a 10 gallon right now with 4 Zebra Danios, but once it's finished I'm gonna get some fish and I wanted some Bottom Dwellers that clean the bottom.

Which bottom dwellers are good for 10 gallon tanks? I want about 2 or 3 that aren't too aggressive.

THANKS!

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 ghost shrimp and an albino mystery snail in my 10 gallon. They work great as a clean up crew and they're fun to watch.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply lenoirj, but I didn't really want to get any snails, I heard they breed, and I've read around here that people are trying to kill all their snails. Crying or Very sad

Do shrimp get a long well with all types of fish?

4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get some ghost shrimp or cherries or some small corries
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get mystery snails they grow bigger and won't be such a nuisance to your tank.

corys might work if you have sand on the bottom and places for them to hide. And you must get at least 3 but they are supposed to be in groups of 5 but considering your smaller tank you shouldnt get 5. if you do get corys get some of the smaller ones like pandas.

Shrimp will get along with your danios, but some other fish (ex. gouramis) will eat your shrimp.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple snails are my favorites! They won't breed if you only have one, they come in all kinds of colours, and they grow to about the size of a tennis ball. Heavy bioload, though, so that can be a problem in smaller tanks. Here's a pic of one of my burgandy p. bridgesii:

The ridge in his shell is from shipping stress. The yahoos who run the postal system in this area dumped my snails in the PO box...in the cold... instead of delivering them to the door (which is what I paid for). They were very cold when I recieved them.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osprey, thats a cool looking snail!

Do cories do well in gravel? What about Otos?

I want to get 3 otos or 3 cories for my 10 gallon, which ones are better?

4 Betta tanks
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet picture, Osprey! I see that new camera is paying off. : )

Preppy, I don't know that I'd put 3 otos in your 10g, they could starve. One plus three or four algae-eating shrimp would do the job well.

Cories don't eat algae, they eat small organisms and leftover bits of food that settle into the substrate. Gravel is okay so long as it is not sharp. Cories like to dig so the finer the substrate, the better.

A note about snails, such as pond snails: if you aren't overfeeding your fish, the snail population won't get out of control. I have some pond snails in my 10g and my 55g, and after I got my feeding regimine established, the snail population levelled off and now I have just enough snails. : )
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help shai!

Okay, Because I'm new to the hobby, I think I'm just going to get Fake Silk plants, and ornament decorations and use gravel as my substrate.

Do you think maybe 3 small cories like pandas would be okay for my tank?

4 Betta tanks
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live plants are much better; they contribute to keeping the water quality high by using the nitrates as food. There are a number of plants which are easy to care for, such as java fern, anubias nana, anubias afzelii.

Panda cories are sensitive and you should add them after your tank has been established for a good couple of months. If this is the same tank you are currently cycling with the danios, you should come up with a complete stocking plan (stick to one thread) and decide what you are going to do with the danios before you do anything else. 3 pandas is a good number for keeping the pandas happy, but whether or not you have room for that many depends on what else you plan to put in the tank. I talked about this briefly in the other thread.

For panda cories you will need a fine gravel (2mm) or sand.

Also keep in mind that adding ornaments (such as castles, treasure chests, etc) to the tank lowers the total available water volume, so you end up not being able to keep as many fish. I would recommend you not use ornaments at all (or only one very small one) since you want to have a greater number of fish.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: