Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Random Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)16:29    Post subject: Random Question Reply with quote

I was thinking about cycling my tank and wondered about what I would have to do. The fish I want need soft water but I have hard water so I will be using RO water(random sentance). The tank will be planted. My question is, will I have to add RO water for the whole cycle or can I use it when I add the fish. I am planning to use crypts and I understand that they can get crypt rot from changes in water condition. Can I switch the water after the cycle or do I have to do it before?
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I completely understand you but your asking if you have to fill the tank with RO water, or if you can just add it later while doing water changes?

If so, I think (when I say "I think", I really just think, I don't know at all) you'll have to fill the tank with RO water, then you might be able to put your regular water in it after water changes in small increments.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what I was trying to say was; Should I use the kind of water I will use to keep my fish in or can I change it after the cycle and if I did would the crypts get crypt rot from the change.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it's lighting changes rather than water changes that set off crypt rot, IME (maybe others have had different experiences). Make sure you mix the RO with your tap water; RO isn't buffered at all and is therefore susceptible to rapid pH swings (fatal to your fish). A little experimentation will help you decide what ratio is best; it depends on how hard your tap water is.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: