Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Under Gravel Filter
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you just set up your UGF not so long ago, I don't think you will have too much dirt caught in it. As Bob said, give it a good clean before you start hooking things up.

You may want to go to HomeDepo or something like that to get some correct size soft clear tube and SS fasteners. That way you can have a water tight connection. Remeber, no other metals in the tank other than SS.

Good luck with the set up and let us know the result. A picture would be nice too.
brisbaneace
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank has actually been set up for 2-3 years or so now, but hasn't had any fish at all, just plants, for the past 12-18 months. So when I set it up with new fish over Christmas, I did not empty all the water out, and so the gravel would still be holding a fair bit of gunk I would think. The UGF has been running all this time, and some of the plants had actually survived all that time as well! I did vacuum the gravel when I did a partial water change, then let it sit for another 2 weeks before adding the fish.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you really need a good clean up. There could be some bacteria in there that don't like oxgen (forget the word for it), they could be really bad for fish if pumped out everywhere.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: