Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aggresive Firemouth
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:34    Post subject: Aggresive Firemouth Reply with quote

I have two firemouth cichlids (JD and Elliot, from Scrubs) and JD, the probable male, is has beat up every other firemouth I previously had, and now moved onto Elliot.

How can I get him to quit?

Its a 29 gallon, with a clay pot and hollow log, HOB filter.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to be in a much larger tank, if he is with in with other Cichlids. That way they can stake out independant homes for themselves.

We keep a large male in a 36 gallon tank, but he is in with Swordtails and Cory's. He is also fully grown, if he was still growing he would need more room.

The reason he is in this tank, is because he was far too aggressive in the previous tanks (It was a rescue job) with other medium sized fish, if I was to think about putting him in a tank with other Cichlids it would be in a 200 gallon with lots of "Line of sight" barriers.

Firemouths are often said to be a none aggressive fish, but they are still Cichlids, compared to some Cichlids, thy are relativly peaceful, but compared to "Community" fish, they can be mean and nasty peices of work.

Bob
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: