Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Finding Nemo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiffy wrote:
yes but was that disneys fault or was it pixars fault? it seems like most disney/pixar movies are really pixar movies with disney's budget and name recognision.

Both. Pixar produces, Disney finances (in part) and distributes.

I'm appalled whenever I see a small SW tank labeled by a LFS/LPS a "NEMO fish tank...!", etc. But it's not surprising that they sell faster labeled that way. Whatever to make a buck, I suppose.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT I'll point a finger at and frown. Sigh. Just because you make money doing something doesn't make it right. It makes it worse, even!
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at least it's clownfish which are readily bred in captivity and not some rare kind of wrasse or something like that. the movie itself wasn't bad, the tank in the dentists office was bad, but I'd say the worst part is the people going out and sticking "nemofish" in bowls and not getting them a proper setup. but like I said, the protagonist could have been a king angelfish (holacanthus passer) instead of a clownfish.

invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted the manta ray teacher to eat everyone
spec v
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Finding Nemo!!! One of the true Pixar greats!

Now, bear in mind, PIXAR did not design the film to be picked apart by fish tank purists!! LOL I kind of wondered why I couldn't put a few red tailed sharks in with neons since Finding Nemo had a Blowfish and Angelfish together, and everything was cool! Laughing Aside from that, the film was visually stunning! Watch Toy Story and compare it with FN...what a difference a decade makes in animation!

DORY RULES!!
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

but toy story was a far better movie.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Finding Nemo. It was this movie that (partially) inspired me to get back into fishkeeping.

But I agree, it's too bad that so many people went out afterwards and bought clown fishes and blue tangs and who knows what else without knowing how to properly care for them.

PIXAR and Disney may not have done their homework, but most movies have many errors like that in them; for all their good intentions, sometimes they just don't have the time/resources/inclination to *really* get it right; they're too busy spending their millions on the special effects. Average Joe won't know the difference.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ignorant people will always get their inspiration somewhere.

That was exactly what I was trying to say, well done.

Quote:
since Finding Nemo had a Blowfish and Angelfish together

Just so you know, Gill wasnt an angelfish, he was a Moorish idol. Saltwater marine angels look much different than freshwater ones =)
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
PIXAR and Disney may not have done their homework, but most movies have many errors like that in them; for all their good intentions, sometimes they just don't have the time/resources/inclination to *really* get it right; they're too busy spending their millions on the special effects. Average Joe won't know the difference.

I have to agree with this. I take x-rays for a living and you wouldn't believe how off they can be with x-rays in movies (like upside down chest x-rays or even an arm x-ray when the person suposedly hurt their leg). Especially when they're in the background of a hospital room. Then don't even get me started on Crossing Jordan and their absolutely 100% fake x-ray scence. About the only thing they got right was the x-ray machine...from there it was pure imigination.

Same thing with fish tanks though. If you look at most of the ones that show up in film they aren't set up correctly at all. Usually they're overstocked or all together the wrong type of fish for the tank size. I even saw an episode of Trading Spaces where they set up several "fish bowls" with goldfish in them as part of the decorating theme. Oh well, ignorance abounds. Rolling Eyes
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the 'mistakes' in movies like Finding Nemo aren't mistakes but concessions to the story. Pixar brought in an expert in aquatic physiology so that they could make the movements of the fish realistic and they guy had problems with how the pectoral fins were being moved.

They told him, "Well....fish can't talk."

In other words, certain allowances have to be made in order to tell the story. The kind of self righteous condescension that always erupts after movies are released (Apocalypto, anyone?) is misplaced. It's a story.

There were a lot of abandoned dalmations after 101 Dalmations came out. The only way to prevent this is pretty much to say you can't use animals in film in any way, shape or form. Which is worse, in my opinion.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: