Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Finding Nemo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Arcane
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:21    Post subject: Finding Nemo Reply with quote

Do you like this movie?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. But Disney has no idea how to set up, stock, or maintain a marine tank. Ah, well, it's a cartoon, right? How much can we expect?
Arcane
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osprey wrote:
I enjoyed it. But Disney has no idea how to set up, stock, or maintain a marine tank. Ah, well, it's a cartoon, right? How much can we expect?
I haven't watched it in a long time. Could you tell me what Disney did wrong?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many fish (large fish!) in too small a tank.
Coloured gravel that will dissolve in SW and poison the fish.
Really, really wussy filtration. Like a small HOB filter could manage a SW tank that size! There just isn't enough bio-filtration in a filter like that.
Putting shrimp and puffers in the same tank=feeding time. Actually, it's also pretty likely that a puffer the size of 'Bloat' would go ahead and snack on a little juvenile occelaris clown, like Nemo.
There are probably other mistakes, but those are the big ones that come to mind.
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but was that disneys fault or was it pixars fault? it seems like most disney/pixar movies are really pixar movies with disney's budget and name recognision.

the movie was pretty bad, though my kids like it. and as far as that tank goes, there were far more rediculis things happeneing in the ocean as well.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the point that the girl was a really awful fishkeeper and hence did all those incorrect things?
I liked the movie personally, it was cute and fluffy and didn't really have a point, but it's nice to watch that kind of movie every once in a while. It's not like I was taking fishkeeping advice from it...
The only problem I have with it is a bunch of people ran out and set up clownfish tanks that had no experience with fish. Like how the number of rabbits in animal shelters rises dramatically right after Easter, or puppies after Christmas. It's kind of sad, really. If people want to have clownfish, fine, and ocellaris clownfish are actually a really good saltwater beginner fish, but people should always start out with freshwater and then go to saltwater after they've been in the hobby for a while.
My two cents...

Liszie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wasn't the point that the girl was a really awful fishkeeper and hence did all those incorrect things?

Actually the tank belonged to the uncle I think it was who was a dentist. The tank was in his office. He was also the one who captured Nemo out in the wild. Gah, I feel bad for knowing that much LOL.
Yeah, I hate it when I go to a fish store or an aquarium and the parents are so bloody clueless that they say, "look, its a nemo fish." and then move to a nearby tank and say "look, its a dory fish." THEY HAVE NAMES!!! Is clown fish THAT hard to figure out? So just to be different when they kids are watching the movie I say "Look, its clown fish and blue tang". Wink
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen it, but I believe it has been responsible for a large rise in the sale of Clown loaches (Nearest stripy freshwater fish to the one in the film) for being kept in tiny tanks Sad

Bob
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a wonderful movie. The fact that the rise in clown fishes and clown loaches in innapropriate tanks is unfortunate, but think of all the people that are also getting into fish keeping because of it and learning it the right way! There's always going to be the idiots that shove fish into tiny tanks, this movie is just making them more publicized.

But the movie itselfis a very cute and funny story and is a nice way to spend an hour and a half.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love the movie! Cute and fun. I don't know how many times I've seen it.

It's not the moviemakers' fault ignorant people go out and buy clownfish and blue tangs to put in 5gallon tanks after watching it, anymore than when people finance brand new puppy mills for Brussels Griffons after Good As It Gets and the like. Ignorant people will always get their inspiration somewhere.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: