Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
super cheap lighting??
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)17:44    Post subject: super cheap lighting?? Reply with quote

I was looking to upgrade my lighting. I have a 75 gallon and it came with a 36in 2bulb fixture. I want lighting that will cover the entire length 48in. I was at fred meyer today and saw they have a 48in 2 bulb shop light fixture for $9.99 US. Thats a way better than aquarium lights I've been looking at for about $90. Other than being kinda ugly would there be any downsides to this type of lighting? I have quite a few plants, but non that need high lighting, and I have a glass cover. They also had bulbs there for 6.99 that claimed to be for plants and aquariums. Sounds like an awesome deal to me, but will it work? Thanks everyone
Dave
TMfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went that route for my 70Gal. I went to Homer Depot and bought a 48" 4 bulb fixture and installed it under my wooden canopy. 4x40=160 Watts. Works great and was cheap.
Bolivian Ramage
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMfish wrote:
I went that route for my 70Gal. I went to Homer Depot and bought a 48" 4 bulb fixture and installed it under my wooden canopy. 4x40=160 Watts. Works great and was cheap.

HEY TM fish I did the EXACT same thing!!! Same place too Smile do you use Co2 injection or no, I don't. I find my plants are taking a beating:( I only use ferts and liquid co2.How do yours fair???
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the origional post, I guess they would work if they were the proper wattage. I think you can use any ballast aslong as you get the proper wattage. I almost went to home depot for the "shop light" but I went to my lfs instead and bought a light from there. I figure it may be just as cheep. its wasent but ill like "oh well, I got the money handed to me anyways go buy something I liked"
TMfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't use Co2. My plants are doing OK without. I have a flourite substrate, and use Hagen plantGro for ferts. I have to trim my Val's weekly or they block all the light.
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone! It's just so much cheaper, but I wanted to make sure there were no big problems with it. I might just check out what home depot has Laughing
fish man
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

were the plant and aquarium bulbs made by GE (general electric) if so I find those nice bulbs I have 2 of them and 2 GE cool white bulbs over my 90 gallon before I took it down to start fresh with a new substrate, painted back , new stand and new hood.
10gallon plated guppie tank
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, instead of making my own thread about DIY and cheep lighting, what can I use as a "reflector" instead of paying 79,99 CDN for the proper reflector from my LFS? I'm using the flouresent bulbs 48inch long and they have the "end caps" on both ends and the bulb goes in the middle. for more info google.com and look for Glomat2.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: