Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angel...
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tommy123
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:23    Post subject: Angel... Reply with quote

I have an old angel fish in a SA community tank (15 rummy's 6 emporers + 1 otto) He/She is the last survivor of a shoal of 5 I had for maybe 5-6 years.

Recently he/she has become far less active, and seems to get chased abit buy the shoal of rummy's. he eats less also and only takes frozen/live food.

Is it worth me risking getting a young angel for company? I have kept angels for years in groups of 5/6 and am fully aware of there boyterous behavyour, so I really don't want to add a young fish that will get harrased all day, but also want my remaining angel to be as happy as possible, to which he aint now!

Thanks!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 isn't old for an Angelfish, so your Angel should be in the prime of health at the moment.

As to whether to put another one in, it's how long is a piece of string, I have a female, who I have tried to add a partner to on a couple of occasions, she just gets so stressed, it's just not worth it. She is happy by herself (Well with a large shoal of Cardinals)

What size tank are we talking about.

Do you have a "Plan B" if you try, and it doesn't work out, I normally have plenty of tanks on the go, so I can shift fish around.

Bob
tommy123
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply....

Unfortunatly I don't have any other tanks running at the mo. The tank is also only 100L so its not much room to play with. This fish was the most boisterous out of the origional group, and he only has become like this since the last one of his mates died....I was thinking he was maybe just on his last legs, so I was just going to wait till he died and add a apir of rams. but I didn't realise 5 wasbnt that old so now I'm thinking maybe he would be best with a friend/mate.....

would it be better adding an older angel, or just the same with a younger one,

Thanks!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 100 liter is pushing it for one Angel, I wouldn't put two in there.

The other problem is the lack of an alternative tank, if it doesn't work out.

I recently had to play musical Angels, our long term pair fell out, so I moved the male to a larger tank with a lone female, they settled down for one breeding cycle, then fell out big time, I started setting up another tank, but thought I would move the females about, this has worked, so I know have the original pair, in a larger tank and the lone female back by herself (She seems much happier).

My smallest Angel tank is 140 liters (36x15x18) and this only holds single fish (Would do a pair at a pinch, but without many tank mates).

Bob
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: