Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tank shapes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)17:10    Post subject: tank shapes Reply with quote

just a bit of a curious thread to see what shape tanks people out there prefer.

while I'm just starting my first tank, at this stage, I like the thought of a longer tank, which is not to wide (front to back) but tall enough to be comfortable for the fishes in there (eg angel's needing more height than a tetra).

I like the thought of the longer tank allowing a fish more room to be active and swim around.

your turns now Smile
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of the same. I think if I could get any size tank I would get 12" wide, 15" tall, and 30-50" long. I like a not too tall tank. I find if the tank is too tall/ long you don't know what to focus on and it becomes jumbly (if thats a word).
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres what I got if my memory is correct ...

All references are LxWxH

Tank1 48x25x24 (125 gal)
tank2 planted 48x23x18(72 gal bowfront)
Tank3 48x18.5x13 (50 or 55 gal)
tank4 30x12.5x18 (havent done the math yet!!)

I love the long tanks. now that I have my bowfront I'm looking to trade my 125 gal for something 60 to 72 inch long. My tank3 I like but its not high enough, it was my temporary tank for my plants till I got my 72 gal going. Now it being made into a ciclid tank as we speak and the 8 ciclids are in the tank#4 till maybe tomorrow.

My cousin has this really weird tank, its 48x18x48. its really odd but nice and different @ the same time.
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I like both, lon and tall. I like tall one for fish that are taller than longer (angles) But like the look of longer tank because the fish zoom back and forth.

I have a tall 1.5 gal with a betta, or thats what the said but when I did the measurements, its a 2 gal.

But if I HAD to pick it would have to be long.
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I guess we seem to tend to prefer long tanks cause we think the fish will enjoying that whole swimming ability.

I was in a LPS in the weekend, and they had this very large 22 year old fish (dunno what sort - but about maybe 50/60cm long) that swam about 5/6 lengths of its body then had to turn around - which in its relatively skinny tank, was a challenge for it, requiring it to stop and slowly turn.

on top of that, there were many other well sized fish in there to. nowhere near as large, but still 15/20cm long fish.

it was a large, bare, display type tank in the shop.. but I didn't like this pet shop on general.. the pets werent housed in 'tidy' looking cages/displays etc and didn't appeal much.

the fish tanks were algae covered in most places, where as a larger pet shop chain store here, has very clean looking and nice looking fish tanks that just appeal more and make me want to buy their fish more (guess it just looks like there is less chance they will be sick or anything).

a little off the topic of tank shapes Razz

but it sorta had it in there a little bit
big dee
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

go the kiwis msta this year is our year for the world cup!!!!
back to the fish tank, I currently have a 275ish litre on the dry... by this I mean I am waiting for the silicone to cure counting the days away.. I had a thing for tall tanks when I first ssaw the display in a local mall. that was until a saw what you could do with a long tank and I'm still waiting to catch mybreath... so its long for me something to be said about aquascape!!!!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way hexes look when they're empty, but since getting one I wish I'd gotten a regular tank... the longer the better, I suspect!
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got back into the hobby last year I bought a 55 gallon. Now that I've had it for a while I wish I had gotten a tank that was a bit wider. 12 inches isn't much when you try to aquascape. Ideally I'd like a 125 gallon tank, but I don't have the room for it right now.
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe yea, I'm a uni (US= College) student, but so far I've spent NZ$430 setting up my tank so far, a 54L, 14.3G, and with fish, will be around $500 all up to get it going (around US$325).

I would like to have this going for a while and then get a larger tank, however some of those are quite costly at the LPS's here in NZ, altho, I might look at getting one custom made - seem to be a lil cheaper for the same size.

Go the All Blacks! Very Happy
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie wrote:
Now that I've had it for a while I wish I had gotten a tank that was a bit wider. 12 inches isn't much when you try to aquascape.

and from my comment before about that LPS, you need a tank wide enough so that your fish can freely turn (bearing in mind any possible aquascaping also) - I dunno about as a health factor - but it'd certainly be nicer for the fish to be able to easily perform turning circles, etc
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: