Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I Ordered Some Plants Online How Should I Prepare Them??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:18    Post subject: I Ordered Some Plants Online How Should I Prepare Them?? Reply with quote

I ordered some plants from http://www.liveaquaria.com and I was wondering how I should clean them or prepare them to go in my 20G tank once they arrive.

Has anyone else ever ordered from here? If so did yours arrive looking in good condition and did they affect your tank with a disease or snails or anything?

Answers will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much asked the same question in a thread about killing snails. heres a link someone passed onto me. I have yet to try any of them.

Good luck

http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdipsbaths.htm
Lobsterman
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plants will be in OK shape. Plants like the cabomba will be messy(but will possibly survive) due to the lack of sunlight. There are snails. I got all types of snail in my tank when the lights are out. It is fish food when I smash it.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh great...snails! I was trying to just have bigger snails like mysterys but I guess thats over!

and I will check out those links, thanks!
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)11:47    Post subject: Snails in the tank - they win I loose Reply with quote

I bought some live plants about a year ago and I kept them in a separate tank for a while to see if there were any snails. After about two weeks I was satisfied and added them to my regular tanks. I had mistery snails at that time and when about two weeks later I saw a small 'baby' snail I thought my mistery snails became parents. Needless to say it was the first of a whole army of pond snails that soon overtook both my tanks. Every day I was pulling them out by hand (40-50 a day!), vacuumed the gravel, used chemicals. In the process of trying different chemicals I killed most of my fish (even though I followed the label instructions), but the snails were still appearing from nowhere. Finally I gave up and drained my tanks. I washed them, bleached the gravel, poured boiling water in and then it sat without water for 2 months! I washed everything again prior to a new start up. I even bought a new filter! And it worked great... for about two weeks. And then snails reappeared!!! I did not add anything new in the tank. Old gravel could be the ONLY source of a new infestation. I cannot believe it! What does it take to get rid of them?????!!!!!
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a thread I started about killing snails. http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=40002&highlight=

its still in the works and from now on I'm going to try the baths I recommended in the post earlyer to see what happens.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Natalie I'm soo sorry! that must have been pretty painful to go through all that work for nothing! But keep reading and maybe I can help you!

Yesterday at my LFS I saw these loaches (they were calling them A. Botia) so I bought two b/c they looked really cool and it said they get about 6 inches long. I came home, researched them, and I'm guessing they are yoyo loaches! So go into the gallery here. Over half of their messages about the yoyo loach say they have eaten all there snails! Now I'm very happy I bought these guys!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 clown loaches. I don't know the difference between the clowns, yoyos. I herd some to most loaches will eat snails but I don't know for sure. My clowns were in a tank which was over-run with snails so I would never know if they ate some. now that they are in another tank with very few snails, I have yet to see the population re-populate. Also, when I walk past the tank ill pick the ones I see out too.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get rotala magenta or cabomba they will die for sure. and some of those prices are really high. I didn't get any snails but remove them from the pots. my hairgrass died because I didn't
Natalie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the loaches get along with algae eaters? It seems that both fish like to be in charge of the tank...
It's funny really. I had one algae eater in a tank and that guy did not do a good job. He was hiding most of the time behind the filter and I almost never saw him. I thought he got old and could use some help so I bought another fish that was sold to me as 'golden algae eater' ?). Well, I doubt it is an algae eater at all, but it sure did the trick. My old guy could not tolerate a newcomer so all of a sudden he is active again, dashes around the tank, sucks on everything and generally speaking puts on a good show of being in charge. The 'golden eater' moved out to another tank... Now I ran out of tanks and if loaches don't get along with algae eaters I would not have anywhere to move them too:(
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: