Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pH help quickly needed!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
maceman
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)13:52    Post subject: pH help quickly needed! Reply with quote

my pH has gone from 7 and crashed to 5.5 !!!!! what the hell has happened ??? just lost a bosemans rainbow I'm wandering if its the pressurised co2 system I'm useing I have it set exactly as my lfs a bubble every 3 seconds in a 220 litre tank , I've just added a bag of coral sand and a small dose of malawi buffer to try and get it back to normal before I start loosing my expensive plecs please help
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co2 injection will lower your pH for sure. When try it out, going slow and monitoring the pH. If you don't, you know what will happen. It could be worse if you have too much co2 in the tank. It will kill all your fish for sure.

BTW, you are not using co2 injection at night, right? Co2 is to help the plants and they sure don't need it at night. It will only add to your problem and have pH swings between day and night time.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish don't care about pH swings caused by CO2. It is possible you have too much CO2 in the water and they can't breathe. Add airation, as much as possible, get the surface of the water moving. No need to add any coral or salts.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disagree with you on this Minsc, but sudden swings of pH (For whatever reason) can and often do kill fish.

It all depends on the suddeness and level of the change.

Bob
maceman
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:11    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

I agree with bob I'm afraid fish definatley do not like pH swings isince I added the bag of coral sand pH has gone back to seven just gotta keep it there now I'm adding a bubble every five seconds now and seeing how that effects the pH, plus I've orderd a co2 and pH permanent test kit from jbl looks a good bit of kit goes inside the tank
maceman
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:15    Post subject: co2 at night Reply with quote

to the post above no I'm not useing co2 at night I have the lights and the co2 on a timer 10 hours per day
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people have tanks with CO2 added only during the day, where the daytime and nightime pH can differ by nearly 2 points every single day. The fish that live in these tanks are fine.

However, if the CO2 goes too high, often caused by a slight tinkering with the needle valve before going to work, the fish die. Too much CO2 in the water dissallows the fish to exchange gasses through their gills, and they suffocate.

Hard water often has high levels of many dissolved solids, including carbonates that increase pH. Water with lower pH usually has much lower levels of dissolved solids in general. Moving a fish from water with low TDS to one with higher levels will cause increased osmotic pressure on the cellular walls of the fish, causing compression of the cells and stressed fish. Moving from high TDS to low TDS will often cause the cells walls to explode, end result: dead fish. The process has nothing to do with pH.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mace,
You need to know your KH and I suspect it is extremely low...
The coral sand will boost your KH & pH but you will need to keep an eye out on your KH as the carbonic acid(CO2) will over time deplete the benefits of the coral sand...
FWIW I run my CO2 24/7 @ 1~1.5 bubbles per sec in a 20 gallon. 2~2.5 dKH and my pH is 6.2~6.4 morning, noon and night.
Here are some very useful sites dealing with CO2 and be sure to peruse the rest of the sites as well for some solid planted tank info;

Co2 ala Steve Hampton
CO2 ala Rex Grigg
CO2 ala Chuck Gadd I believe Chuck is a little too cautious with his CO2 levels... but his downloadable CO2 & fert calculators are awesome.

I will not comment much about pH swings vs TDSs other than to say I have seen a site with an experiment supporting TDSs being a bigger factor than pH fluctuations... unfortunately two computers and four hard drives later that site is lost... well not lost I just can't find it.
I would rather err on the side of caution though and avoid major fluctuations in pH & TDSs...

Fred
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: