Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cycling question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
aquamike
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)8:55    Post subject: Cycling question Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a new cycling tank. It is 135 gallons with 11 glowlight tetras to get the cycling established. I have been testing the water regularly. I had in the beginning of the cycle an ammonia reading of 0.25mg/l and a nitrite reading of just over 0.3mg/l. As a week or two went by the ammonia levels dropped to 0 but the nitrite levels continued to increase. It rose all the way to 3.3mg/l which made me put some amquel plus in the tank. It says that it removes ammonia, nitrites and nitrates without harming nitrifying bacteria.

After adding the amquel plus, a day later I retested and the test kit said that the ammonia and nitrite levels were both at 0. I use the tetratest kit.

Can amquel plus cause a false test reading?

Also, my tank is very cloudy. One week it seems to get better than the next week it worsens. This tank has been cycling going on 1 month. One water change has been done after the first week but then I was told by the lfs to not do the water changes right away until the cycling gets established. Otherwise, I would be prolonging or defeating my purpose. Sound right?

If I understand cycling correctly, when my tank has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and a certain amount of nitrate, it has cycled. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Mike
(1) tetra whisper 100 air pump
aquamike
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a 25% water change. I read some other similar posts and I felt that I should start doing this daily.

Again, opinions and suggestions to my post will be greatly appreciated,

Mike
(1) tetra whisper 100 air pump
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a good idea to cycle a tank with fish...this is very harmful to them...like you taking a swim in an over chlorinated pool...ever had your eyes sting?

You should read the article on fishless cycling on this website...

I just performed a fishless cycle on my 55 gallon planted tank...it took about 2-3 weeks...

I however made the mistake of adding 12 tetras to the tank at once. By doing this I created a mini-cycle and my nitrite readings spiked above 0. I've been doing water changes daily in an effort to stabilize my tank.

From what I've read and what people have told me you should never add chemicals to try and battle the nitrogen cycle...the best solution is to perform water changes until the tank naturally works itself out...

I hope you can save your fish....
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: