Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
MelaFix is GREAT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tafari127
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm posting this here since I swore to myself I'd never start one of those "Help my sick fish! Ammonia at 2ppm!" type threads...

I've had my betta for about six months now in a well planted 7 gallon tank. Water parameters check out, with the exception of a pH of around 8 that I know better than to do battle with. Stable temp of 78 - 80F. The little guy eats well, has great color, and blows bubbles under his bubble wrap nest (little Freudian hint for him), but this last week he managed to blow a hole in his fin (this is AFTER I finally took out the stupid fake coral I could have shaved with) which seems to have started a minor infection.

So I'm now at around day 5 of treating him with Melafix, with mixed results. The quarter inch of fin he lost has started to grow back already, but two points on the tip are still infected. I'd rather keep him in the 7 gallon for my morale and his, plus I can keep the temp consistent, and the filtration, etc.. But if the Melafix doesn't clear this up soon, he's off to a 2 gallon bowl with Nitrofurazone.

What do you guys think, give him another week with the Melafix? Oh, I forgot to add he's been getting grindal worms and some extra vitamins this week. I take better care of him than myself. :D
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafari127 wrote:
So I'm now at around day 5 of treating him with Melafix

Considering MelaFix is a seven day treatment with the option to continue past that, you should really complete the full period before deciding on what the results are. MelaFix is a good product, but the healing won't be instant. Switching between medications can stress your fish unnecessarily. You said he's showing some improvement, so give it some time. : )
tafari127
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
tafari127 wrote:
So I'm now at around day 5 of treating him with Melafix

Considering MelaFix is a seven day treatment with the option to continue past that, you should really complete the full period before deciding on what the results are. MelaFix is a good product, but the healing won't be instant. Switching between medications can stress your fish unnecessarily. You said he's showing some improvement, so give it some time. : )

Good point, I will at the very least finish the dosage. It's just that on top of being a hypochondriac (sort of) I've read all these horror stories about meds not working. Bernard might be a year and a half old, but I'm hoping he's still got some spunk in those fins...

On the topic of Melafix, have any of you used Indian Almond Leaves?
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing beats water changes for helping a fish recuperate. Id recommend daily waterchanges. Indian Almond leaves apparantly have an antiseptic type effect but I have no personal experience with them. Melafix seems to work but I've always used it in combination with extra water changes so I can't say whether it is a miracle or not. One thing is for sure... it smells nice Wink
tafari127
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, true! Popping the hood is like stepping into a eucalyptus grove. Now if they made Amquel that smelled like that...
spacecadet
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimafix can also be used with melafix...and are made to work together. I usually use both together when I have both on hand...Foster & Smith have both on sale right now. Laughing
tafari127
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two doses and two small water changes later, I can barely see any fin rot left. I'm happy, and Bernard's happy, or at least he seems happy. Be great if fish could talk huh?

Now on to dealing with this lingering thread algae problem... boy, there's no end to tinkering with a nano tank. :!:
J2FcM
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Dwarf Cichlids think Melafix is a mircale drug too? I have read that Rams don't like to be medicated.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: