Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
MelaFix is GREAT!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)0:40    Post subject: MelaFix is GREAT! Reply with quote

I just wanted to let anyone that is having problems with fish under stress, fin rot, damaged fin's or parasites that MelaFix is the way to go. I had 2 silver dollars that had fin rot for over 2 months and were getting to the point where I was thinking of putting them out of pain. I tried many antbiotics and none of them seemed to work, I also did a lot of water changes to cleanup all the garbage at the bottom of the tank, this helped alittle but for a fish with bacteria or a parasite that is past the stage of water changes MelaFix is sure to work.

It might not work with every tank especially very picky fish that are sensitive to almost everything but it is very good at healing visual damage and minor parasites and for me advanced bacterial infections.

For it to be effective you should do 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons every day for ATLEAST 7 days, once you do that do a 25% water change, for me it has been almost 6 days and my fish have started to eat for the first time in over 2 weeks (or atleast from what I have seen) , and have also show very visual signs of the fin rot going away with the healing of the fins and the color of the silver dollars is also coming back.

I just wanted to let you know because some might not thing is will work at all because it really isn't designated as a Antibiotics but it works just like one or better. It also can been used when you add new fish to avoid infections or large water changes.
spacecadet
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you happen to have any otocinclus in the tank while using melafix? Or do you know if it would be safe for the oto?
Thanks Question
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read on Ick treatment and others to remove the carbon from the filters. I just read the melafix container and it also says to remove carbon. if you don't, the treatment may not/will not work.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got on with the treatment, but I find the best way to deal with finrot and most other problems is to keep high water quality.

To do this you don't overstock, you only keep fish that are suitable for your tank size, and you keep up with a good tank management routine (Water changes, cleaning etc).

That way you normally don't need medications.

Bob
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacecadet wrote:
Did you happen to have any otocinclus in the tank while using melafix? Or do you know if it would be safe for the oto?
Thanks Question

it's all natural so it will not harm live plans or anything else.
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay wrote:
Glad you got on with the treatment, but I find the best way to deal with finrot and most other problems is to keep high water quality.

To do this you don't overstock, you only keep fish that are suitable for your tank size, and you keep up with a good tank management routine (Water changes, cleaning etc).

That way you normally don't need medications.

Bob

I agree but it is a great help if you do need medications, I made the mistake of low water quality but since it is now fixed MelaFix is a great way to relax the fish during any kind of stress and infection left it be ich, fin rot or some kind of bacterial infection.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Bob
spacecadet
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks,
Using on my new botia who has an abrasion that has worsened. The only one with a problem, but will treat the tank as all my tanks are busy right now. The angels decided they want to spawn, and they wanted a tank to themselves. I have used melafix before but never with oto, that I've read is sensitive. No fin rot or infection noticed, but it is a skin abrasion wound that could become infected.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it with Otos! No problems.

A few years back I went on vacation for a week and when I came back, my friend who was supposed to have been feeding the fish made some mistakes, despite my EXPLICIT instructions. Most of the tanks were easy to clean up, but my goldfish tank was beyond repair. The water was very cloudy, and all the fish were missing except the dojo loach, who was floating, bloated, finless, and covered in fungus, at the surface. I thought he was dead until he moved a little bit when I was trying to remove him. I put him in a quarentine tank and treated with melafix, and in a few days he was moving around more. In a few weeks his fins had grown back and he was back to his old self. I put him in my 55g. He lived a few years more (I had already had him for some three years) and I still use melafix whenever I have a problem. It's my miracle drug.

Liszie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Razz 8 days using melafix and the wound has completely healed on my botia dario. The skin about the size of a match head, has grown back and she's doing fine. No negative impact to any other fish or plants.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: