Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mollies vs. Platys
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)0:19    Post subject: Mollies vs. Platys Reply with quote

Which fish would be more suitable for life in a 10 gallon? I'm cycling the tank now and am trying to figure out what to put in it. I was thinking of getting either 2 mollies or 2 platys and a betta to put in it, and maybe putting my 3 white clouds in also.

As far as care, what are the differences between the two species? Which are hardier and easier to care for? Are they too big for a 10 gallon? I plan on doing weekly 25% water changes. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think platies would be best for your 10 gallon, mostly because their adult size (about 2") is much smaller than mature mollies (up to 5"). 2-3 platies (keep all female to avoid babies, otherwise a 2:1 female to male ratio is best) plus your white clouds would make a very nice tank.

A betta would be nice as well, but should you go this route, be sure to try to find one that seems fairly mellow and calm. Also, buy a veiltail or, if you can find one, a doubletail instead of the newest influx of crowntail bettas. In my opinion, crowntails should be avoided for community tank living because of their naturally more aggressive temperaments -- veiltails and doubletails are naturally more mellow. Even so, each betta has his own personality, and if he shows aggression problems, he will need to be removed from the tank. Also, some platies may nip fins, and again, should this occur, the betta will need to be removed.

Platies are very hardy (Hard to say which is more hardy, mollies or platies), and easy to care for -- they eat flake food, and are fairly flexible with pH and temperature. They come in many different colours, and there's also a high-fin variety that I just love. Also, the females are just as bright as males, so keeping just females wouldn't dull the tank at all.

Hope this information was helpful. n_n Good luck with your tank and happy fishkeeping!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go with platies would be a better choice, I've found that mollies always do better in tanks that have a little salt and that would be a problem for other fish you may want in there.
Skittles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly platies. It would probably be best to put the betta in last so he won't establish a territory and see any newcomers as intruders also. Smile
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'll go with the platies!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: