Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What is the perfect Convict cichlid setup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lynx Days
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)19:48    Post subject: What is the perfect Convict cichlid setup? Reply with quote

Hello, I am about to set up a 30g tank for 6 baby convicts that are less than 1 inch long.

I'd like some expert advice on what plants would be best (if any), I know they like ceramic pots to eventually lay their eggs on. Do they like logs or wood, or caves or lots of current?

So basically what I'd like to know is the 1. Plants (artificial or live and which type would be best), 2. Substrate (sand or gravel and colour), 3. Rocks or caves, and 4. Any wood or logs.

Thanks very much. Any help or suggestions would be great as I'm looking to create a wonder tank.
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the malawi ciclid book I bought I remember it saying that the only place there are plants in the malawi lake is @ the mouth to rivers. I've read on here that the ciclids will dig up the plants too and re-arrange the tank on a daily basis. otherwise its all rocks and caves. I have a 55 gal tank for ciclids and I'm using white silica sand and going to go with the rock/caves look. thats what I've saw in most of the pic's and in my LFS for ciclid tanks (the rock/cave look). I had a bunch of Convicts in my 125 gal about a year ago. I started with 10 and within a few months I had (I'm guessing) about 50. I had a rock gravel about 3 inches deep which they loved to dig into and fake plants which the fry took shelter around.

so in short, you may be able to grow live plants but they will get dug up. ciclids like places to hide and dig. ciclids have attitudes too!!

I just noticed the title says "Convicts", to forwarn you they love to breed!!!
PeterIreland
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convicts would breed in a puddle of mud if given a chance.

Mine kept breeding in a 120 ltr tank, it was setup with loads of flowerpots (Face down with a chunk broken out of them for the entrance), normal gravel and not so many water changes. The bred like there was no tomorrow. The tank is filtered with an internal filter (good flow) and UG filter. The pH was 7.2.

Fry aren't easy to get rid of, so think carefully if you want to breed them. To stop mine breeding I removed the flowerpots and added just rocks to the tank. Now they have no proper secure place to lay the eggs so they don't bother. Also the other convicts in the tank will predate on the fry.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy campbell wrote:
From the malawi ciclid book I bought I remember it saying that the only place there are plants in the malawi lake is @ the mouth to rivers.

I don't know exactly why you brought this up in this topic, but here's a side comment to avoid any confusion/misunderstanding: Convict Cichlids are not from lake Malawi or anywhere else in Africa, they're from Central America.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Lynx Days
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help jimmy and peter. Your tips have helped me to setup my new tank. And marcos, instead of criticizing people when they unknowing make a mistake whilst trying to help, why don't you add something useful. I know where Convict cichlids come from, what I asked was what their tank should consist of.
gravity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos did add something useful... quite a few people read these boards without ever posting any questions. It's important, especially at a site where people come for advice and good information, to make sure that information is correct.

The last thing any of us want to do is give bad information to someone seeking help. Reading the post Marcos referred to, it's easy to see how someone who DOESN'T know where Convicts come from might be confused and think they're African.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember Lynx, that though this is your topic you began, the information contained within may be read repeatedly by many others who come to this board for assistance. Much of the information presented will be for the benefit of everyone and not intended solely for your specific situation.

6 convicts in a 30g tank will be 4 too many in under a year. You should be prepared to remove any that need rescuing once a pair forms as the pair will attempt to drive the other 4 away... sometimes all at once, other times the pair will target the biggest threat and concentrate on driving that one away.

Hope this helps
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend live plants as you would always find some uprooted and floating on the surface. I am constantly replanting mine. If your convicts breed you will have some serious trouble on your hands. There will be lots of fighting and the babies will be hard to catch etc. If you get all males they will get along at first but once they get bigger and older they will really start to fight. I have a 48 gal bowed tank with three Convcts, one Green Terror and a Jack none over two years old they are getting pretty big, and I am telling you the older father who's two sons are as big as him is always chasing and fighting with them, he does not bother the Jack or the GT. They have not hurt each other yet, I plan on buying a 150 gal tank when we move to Florida this summer. I fear that if you put six in a thirty when they get bigger they may fight often. All my fish seem to crave a terriory of their own, and love to hide in logs etc. The small pots you mentioned should work great. The rule about the max size of Convicts is not really true as I have also seen some pretty big ones.

Let me know how things work out for you.

Kodiakbear
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the miss information, I noticed he was actually talking about Convicts during the last sentence of my post, therefore the whole time I wrote the post I thought it was "What is the perfect cichlid setup?" and not "What is the perfect Convict cichlid setup?". Sorry for any confusion!
Lynx Days
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies marcos and gravity. I understand that u were only indicating that convicts were from America instead of lake malawi in Africa. I was only looking for convict tank setup help thats all.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: