Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Neon Color Faded - NTD?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)18:49    Post subject: Neon Color Faded - NTD? Reply with quote

I've just brought home 5 neon tetras and have just noticed one of them has faded color in two specific areas on its body. The pictures I have seen online of NTD all showed the tetra sort of a pussy-yellow color, which this neon doesn't have (yet?).

Is this NTD, or is this fish just faded like this due to the stress of transportation? Should I euthanize just to be safe? The other 4 neons aren't showing any similar faded areas.

Pics didn't turn out too well, sorry...the fish are still in the bag and the bag is covered with air bubbles. In the pic on the left, the neon looks like he has an additional faded spot on his tail, but I checked after taking the pic and it was just a bit of poo floating in the water. ^^;

EDIT: I've left this neon in the bag to (hopefully) lower the chances of infecting the other 4 neons if it is NTD. I'm going to try taking it back to the LFS in the morning, cash in on that fish guarantee. Still, if anyone has any comments, I'd be interested to know what you think.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving fish from LFS to home is extremly stressful, they often lose colour, give the fish a couple of days in it's new home, and it should colour up (If the tank is not causing a problem).

Bob
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, is it behaving normally? I haven't read up on NTD, but I assume that a fish with that disease would be weak and hiding a lot. you wouldn't be able to tell the difference now since they'll all be like that after the stress of shipping, but usually, the stress causes all the colour to weaken, not one patch fading completely.

Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the only one that looks like this though (the other four are fully colored), and I can't imagine it's the tank since he isn't in it (still in the baggie but hanging in the tank to keep warm; I've been changing the water to keep it aerated).

These specific areas are still faded this morning. One of the other signs of NTD is erratic swimming behavior, which describes him accurately. His breathing is extremely fast as well, as if he's just swum a marathon.

Either way, I think I'm still going to take him back (better safe than sorry). The other four fish are normal in comparison to this one.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS FISH IS WEIRD.

After my previously reply I went to get ready to take the neon back to the LFS.

It was dead. Belly-up, no gill movement, no fin movement, nothing. I moved the bag around to examine the body from the other side and the fish flopped about in the water exactly like how a dead body would.

Nothing. STONE COLD DEAD.

I thought to myself, good thing I kept it separate from the others!

So I got ready to go (took about half an hour), put the baggie in my lunch bag to make it easier to carry (and prevent spill in the car in case the bag burst) and off I went.

Arrived at the LFS, found a free employee. Brought out the bag.

The neon was alive, swimming happily in the baggie, normal breathing, normal movement.

Jesus fish.

Or, my lunch bag has incredible abilities of resurrection.

Well, because he was still alive, they wouldn't take him back, so I still have him. Kinda nervous, not sure what to expect now. Never had a fish ressurect on me before.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't leave it in the bag indefinatly.

A quarentine tank is the best idea, but in truth all them should have been in one, if it is NTD then the chances are the others have already been in contact and have it anyway.

I am not saying it isn't NTD, but it's a higher probability it is stressed, so even though it's showing some odd symptoms, I would put it in with the others.

Your other choice is to kill it.

Bob
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I can't really tell what the area looks like from the pictures but maybe he just got injured right there a long time ago and now its healed up.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that poor fish has been in the bag long enough. either put it in the main tank, a quarantine tank, or euthanize it. I know you care for your other fish and all, but if it is some kind of disease, keeping it in the bag is only making it worse and the other fish will have been exposed to it as well.

Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol No worries, he was only in the bag until I got home and got him acclimatized to the tank. Still alive, still faded just in those areas. I'm keeping an eye on him to see what happens with the pale areas. If they progress to white-yellow he's definitely coming out before anybody can snack on him.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: