Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Flourite so dirty
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DeviantXX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)15:56    Post subject: Flourite so dirty Reply with quote

So I set up a new 10 gallon today, and I was shocked at how dirty Flourite is! I was rinsing and rinsing little at a time and the water was dark brown, until it lightened up after a while and I'd add it to the tank, I have it running right now and the water is very brown, I just want some reassurance this is common, also should I replace the water everyday to stop it? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Snarf!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me, except, stupid me, I forgot to rinse the gravel first... Embarassed

It eventually cleared up, and it didn't harm anything.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding some filter floss to help polish the fines from your water. The clouding is totally normal with fluorite. I think Steve Hampton has had success cleaning substrate by rinsing, drying then adding the clay to your tank.
TMfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flourite is good stuff. I first used it in my 20G, and after rinsing, it was still very dusty. I added floss filter material to my filter to try and cut the dust down. I ended up with a filter full of mud. So on my other tanks I was a little more patient and let it settle before turning on my filters.
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash my flourite very very thoroughly. I placed a 15lb bag in my 10gal and the haze cleared up in a matter of hours. the initial work is not appealing, but its a one-time deal and plants love it! totally worth it.
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a method of rinsing Flourite that eliminates the dust but keeps the fine particles.

I can rinse Flourite and add it to a tank with very little to no impact on water clarity.

See the substrate section of my Guide for details.

If Flourite is not properly rinsed then every time the substrate is disturbed you will get hit with a cloud of dust in the water.

Semper Fi
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: