Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
High water temperature?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)9:04    Post subject: High water temperature? Reply with quote

I've been having trouble keeping the temperature in my 10 gallon stable. I would set the heater as low as it could go, yet the water would always remain several degrees hotter. When it finally got to nearly 80 degrees, I took the heater out and have had the lights off for nearly a full day, but the water temperature has not gone down much. Even at night, it's not going much below 77. I'd like the water to be around 72-74, but I'm not sure what to do to get it there and keep it there. Advice?
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the room temperature the tank is in? It won't get lower than room temp...
Cathy
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the room temp? Without refridgeration the tank water will not get cooler than the surrounding room or air temperature.

Leave the heater in, they have a thermostat, so will cut out, and if they water does cool down, they will cut in again (Unless you have a dodgy heater).

Bob
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a little cold for the guppy's anyway? (I looked in your profile Smile ) According to the "Gallery" here they like the water temp to be around 80 F.
Or is this a different tank? If it is, then ignore me....... Razz
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the tank with the guppies. And the room temp fluctuates between 73-74. I also plan on adding some oto catfish (or corydoras if I can't find any oto), and possibly a gourami or other kind of fish. Would water with such a high temperature bother them? I'm just worried that once I turn the lights back on, the water will begin to get even hotter.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been reading on this site, most freshwater tropical fish like water temps between 78 and 82 degrees F. Anything colder could eventually kill your fish. So a water temp of 80F is great for your guppy's. I like to turn my tank lights off for a bit in the afternoon because I currently have light bulbs that are a little too strong for my 10 gallon tank so they tend to warm up the water even with my heater turned all the way down. I will remedy that problem as soon as I can get to the hardware store and get cooler light bulbs.

I would leave the heater in and if you can keep the water temp between 78 and 82 F (turning the lights out during the day for short periods of time is okay) they will be happy fish. Also, don't forget to leave the lights off at night so they can "sleep". I've learned that fish need to have regular day and night cycles like we do.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank isn't going to get any cooler than the 73/74f of your room, and as you have noticed, the lights are making it a bit warmer than the room.

But it isn't the heater (Well it shouldn't be unless as mentioned it is faulty) as it should cut out when the temp it is set at is reached.

You could turn the room heating down a bit (Or is it just warm where you are).

All of the fish you mentioned, will range from mid 70's to low 80's.

One thing to consider, is Oxygen levels fall as temperatures rise, if you see your fish stuggling, add an airstone to disturb the water surface (Allows more Oxygen in). Another is to avoid overstocking, there is an upper limit to the numbers of fish a tank can hold, this is often dictated by Oxygen levels, so a tank with a higher temp should carry less fish.

But we are talking about tropical fish here, and temps of high 70's are what they live in.

Please note that Oto's and some species of Corys like mature tanks (Been running and cycled for a good few months).

Bob
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and put the heater back in. As for turning the light off, I have them set to be on a total of 10 hours every day, and that includes a 2-hour break in the afternoon. And I live in Florida, so the room is just that hot.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: