Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Chinese algae eater trouble
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)23:18    Post subject: Chinese algae eater trouble Reply with quote

Never buy one of these things! they stink at eating algae and kill other fish! I know this sounds cruel but he's killed a rummynose( I only have 1 now) and a neon tetra. he harassas my corries and loach and is eating all of the good algae and my inverts that rely on this are dying off. I have a hungry anemone waiting for him but, how do I catch him?!? he's got so many caves he hides in.

Note: I'm only feeding him to my anemone because my lfs won't take him, if I put him in my other tank he'll be eaten, and none of my friends will take him.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that might take some work! I had to take the cave out of my 5gal and move some plants to catch my corycat yesterday when I moved her to the 35gal. I did everything slowly and carefully, and then took my time capturing her as gently as I could. I think it was pretty stressful on her and on the remaining tetras even so.

Maybe someone will have a better idea?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mentioned to someone else about CAE's not being a good community fish, it's what they do.

I will link this thread into that one so they can see I am not making it up Wink

When they are small they are great algae eaters, but as they get older, they get mean, and stop eating algae, they should come with a "Health warning" Wink

Good luck on catching it.

Bob
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA....feeding it to an anemone. Sorry, that just made me laugh so much I had to comment on it.

Try leaving the net in the tank for a few days, the fish should quickly start to ignore it. Then you can lure them to the front with food and nab him quickly!

There are plenty of variations on what I just suggested, but they all hinge on getting the fish familiar with the capture device, and/or luring them with food.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does he know I'm going for him. my dojo swims in the net! so do my corries but the CAE avoids my like the plague. I'll have to catch him on the glass, he hasn't gone for flake food yet but he'll try for tank glass algae
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CAE now, and so far all he does is hide under a rock most of the day and at night he comes out and eats. I think he will be fine for now. He has not caused any harm to anything... yet.

MattyP
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say one thing though.
When customers want to buy this "lovely" algae eater I get a heart-attack, because it is almost impossible to catch them. I am talking about our Shop aquariums that have just a stone that I take out to be able to get it. They are so fast and stay close to the bottom, so catching with a net means grabbing lots and lots of gravel and causing a huge mess.
I am sorry to say this but...good luck.

Flying Fox and SAEs are the same when it comes to catching, they stay low. Smart move have to say Wink

Kind regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will work with your devil, but when I've had fish that were impossible to catch with a net , I resorted to this, take a plastic bac (large ziplock works well) Fill it up with water sink it, then open it as much as you can, chase the fish in and close the bag. So far this has worked rather well for me.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions but I got the little bugger a different way. I may have smashed him with a 15lb rock. oops Twisted Evil thanks again and NEVER BUY ONE!!!
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish some one would have told me about all this BEFORE I bought one. "This little guy?" "oh, he is a wonderful algae eater, non-agressive, and great with community fish." Jeez, false information from a 'Fish Expert' at my LPS. Yes it was like he said for about a week... but I just saw the little bugger go after one of my tetras because it got to close Mad but good thing it did not do more than that or ithe CAE would have been in an 'accident' with the rock pile. Evil or Very Mad

any ways, I agree with you invertmaniac, NEVER BUY ONE!!
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: