Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Tailed Black Shark
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)21:28    Post subject: Red Tailed Black Shark Reply with quote

I want one really bad! The problem is I have a group of harlequin rasboras in the tank I want to put the shark in and I don't think they are compatible. What do you think? Could it work? I would also like to know if you think I could keep corys in the same tank as the RTBS. Please and Thank You!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if its for your 20gal then your tank is too small for it anyway so that should fix the problem. You need at least a 50 or 60gallon tank.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

they say the RTBS only get 5 inches long so it should be OK for my tank
but lets talk about how whether they would get along with cories and harlequins. Also what about dwarf gouramis?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it would not be OK for your tank. The adult size isn't the issue here, it's the RTBS's active and territorial behavior. It needs more than twice the size of your tank to feel comfortable and behave in a more sociable manner, otherwise it very quickly tends to become irritable and harass other fish constantly.

That also answers your question about compatibility with your fish. In a large enough tank, generally yes. In your tank, generally no.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...

Last edited by Marcos Avila on 2007.01.05(Fri)22:46; edited 1 time in total
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, don't just go with the size to which a fish gets, you also have to take into consideration its behavior and sometime its swimming needs. And don't ever buy a fish because the guy at the fish store said it would be OK, do your own independent research on it since a lot of chain fish stores will try and move fish with no regards. I would invest in a fish book or two, my personal favorite is Aquarium Fishes of the World by Dr. Herbert Axelrod.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTBS is really aggressive towards anything look like the same body shap. Most cat fish would be in the same group.

I used to have 2 in my 125 g tank. One of the killed the other and would chase any fish getting close by, which means about half of the tank. I would not put it in a tank less than 55g.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks guys
and trust me - I don't listen to what the people at the fish store say, I don't even ask them.
example: I asked my mom to get me 2 otocinclus at my petsmart and the guy gave her 1 oto and 1 siamese algae eater! they didn't even look much alike!
I guess I can't get one then, I love them, they look so awesome!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer. And I can assure you that everybody here knows that feeling of not being able to have a fish we fell in love with, because our tank isn't appropriate for them, or because it's incompatible with the other fish, or simply because we can't afford it.

It's an integral part of the hobby...we just have to live with it, find out which ones that can thrive in our tanks, and fall in love with them instead (not difficult at all really Wink ).

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: