Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cory's and Substrate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help! I'm just not sure if my tank is cory friendly. I would hate to buy fish that weren't suited for my tank. Plus, my tank is doing so well that I'm afraid that if I start adding fish that things will fall apart. I initially set it up all wrong (cycling WITH fish Rolling Eyes ) and now I have it running smoothly with happy fish. I can't afford to buy another, bigger tank (but I plan to someday) so I think maybe I will just be happy with what I've got right now. Wink
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't reply earlier! I missed the new post -- happens to me often with the toddler hitting keys here all the time. Wink

I used aquarium sand, from the marine aisle. I was going to report back that the cories have scattered the sand everywhere from playing in it! The level in their sandbox just keeps getting lower and lower. Laughing

I just vacuumed the gravel and there was sand in the gravel throughout the whole tank. Rolling Eyes It didn't vacuum all the way up -- it comes up into the Python tube, swirls around a bit til the center of the tube clears and the sand is just on the inner surface, then it slides down that inner surface and back out of the tube into the tank again.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up buying 3 peppered cories for my tank. I constructed a small cave out of some large smooth rocks and a decoration that I already had (I just connected the "rock cave" to the decoration). Should I still add the sandbox? Can they live without one? The decoration that I took out to put in the rock cave was so big that it took up a lot of the middle of the tank so my new "decoration/cave" is much smaller and looks much better. I will take pics as soon as I can.

I want my little cories to be happy so should I add that sandbox?
P.S. I plan to add some dwarf hairgrass that I have growing in a 1 gallon tank as soon as it becomes well established. The cories won't eat that will they?
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have cories with pea(ish) sized gravel. They all eventually died, I think because the gravel was too large. Their barbels were always damaged or completely gone. They always had enough food, and shelter, and I kept the water quality good.

IMO add the sand pit.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: