Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Betta ID please :-)
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)5:05    Post subject: Betta ID please :-) Reply with quote

Hi Betta experts and Bettaholics Smile
I need some experienced help with this new friend of mine. I just couldn't leave him in the Pet Shop. Now he is (the breeder told us it is a special breed and they are males) in the 11 gallon with RC shrimps and my 3 Peacock Gudgeon's. He is showing great interest in RCShrimps but they sure are fast and they are not an easy catch Wink
I will try to organise some nice planted cube for him as soon as....

Did any one see this type (breed) of Betta splendens) before?
It's copper-blue, very shiny colored. We have lots of Betta females and these don't look like ones IMO, since these guys are in different colors (copper-red and copper-blue)

All help appreciated.

Kind regards, Dusko.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks to me like a female colour variation of betta splendens, but if the guy says it's a male, it could be betta imbellis, the peaceful betta as I've seen it refered to in one book. just how peaceful it really is, I don't know (we only have betta splendens in my area) but hope that helps.

nightngle
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)10:48    Post subject: Beautiful betta! Reply with quote

What a great find!! It looks to me like you have a male, black dragon, Plakat. The coloration is called "dragon" because of the over-lay of irridescence on the base color of the scales. Here's a good article about betta colors:

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1417

here's a picture of a red dragon:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/BettySplendens/reddragon2.jpg

You can get more info about Plakat bettas here:

http://www.siamsbestbettas.com/gallery.html
and here
http://www.plakatthai.com/

I love Plakats - they're stronger swimmers than veil tails and closer genetically to their wild roots. While these are the fish used in Thailand for fighting, and I certainly don't approve of fighting them, the sites about the fighters give really great advice about keeping bettas healthy.

Finding this fish in your local pet store is like finding a diamond ring for a $1 at a garage sale. Wink
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, its GORGEOUS. Great find!
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightngle I believe you are on the right track Smile
It does look like ones you referred to.
I do some more research.
In the mean time, the Betta and the Peacock Gudgeon's are or eating my whole dwarf shrimp population or scaring the heck out of them, because I can see only two grown females of my RCS around. Sad.
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find that your new little fighter will hunt and enjoy your shrimp for a late night snack! You might even consider growing wingless fruit flies or live brine shrimp to feed him. He may CO2-exist with snails, but I've even heard of bettas nipping off the snails antennae - not much fun for the little snails!

Great find, though - enjoy him and thanks for sharing his picture - he's stunning! I'm now smitten with this kind of fish and may have to find one for myself! Smile
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bettas will even eat snail eggs, ripping them off plants or ornaments. Mine do this. : )

Bettas have widely varying personalities and some are more aggressive than others, so it doesn't surprise me that this one seems to be going after the shrimp whereas other people (like myself) have not had any problems with bettas and shrimp.

He's a fantastic-looking fish, Dusko! Great photo. Enjoy!
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Smile
little update;
I just found out today that this Betta is the first Swedish bred generation from the wild caught ones in Thailand. The breeder is a very enthusiastic man, and is on it's way back to Thailand to get some more. Awesome Razz
I am sick and tired of interbreeding so this wild blood is more than welcome in my aquariums.

He eats everything, freeze dried, frozen and commercial...not picky.

Regards, Dusko.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: