Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
has anyone used GE compact flourescent lights?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pennylinx
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)22:12    Post subject: has anyone used GE compact flourescent lights? Reply with quote

I just got a 2.5 gal tank that I am going to attempt to plant with plants such as willisii crypt, java fern, crystal wort, water wisteria, glossostigma, and anubia nana... I have a compact flourescent light that is a 10 watt, 2700K and model T2(GE compact spiral flourescent light). I am going to try to keep these plants and if they outgrow the tank then I will put them in a bigger 29 gal, I am just trying to find out if anyone has successfully used this light to keep a thriving planted aquarium, if so I will highly appreciate your comments and if not I will also be glad to reicieve these as well.

Thanks again I hope to keep a planted aquarium soon, if I can get the lighting right.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started my tank, so I don't have any results to post.

But I am using regular compact fluorescent bulbs (spiral screw type). They're not GE, they're some generic brand, but they're rated as 5000k, and I'm using 2 of them over one half of my 55 gallon tank. Each bulb is 26watts. So that's about 50 watts over the 25 gallons, the half that has the plants. I'm cheap. I think light intensity over that half of the tank is better than spreading the light around and planting throughout the tank.

I don't even have an actual hood. I just brought two lamp kits and cut 2 extension cords. Then put tin foil over the top. I got a ground fault disconnect on it, so it's not too dangerous I don't think.

Eric
pennylinx
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow great improvisation, I am impressed with the workmanship that you have put into lighting yuor aquarium. I am also under a budget and aquarium fixtures can be incredibly expensive, I hope that the flourescent lighting works out for you, I am also waiting for an effect from my light. Hope that it will be positive in the end, for both of us.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2 corallife compact fluorescents on my 10 gal, they work great... never used GE though... they're probably good

as far as fixtures go, ask your lfs if they have any used, I just got a used 30'' fixture for $5 from their back room... they said they always have leftover stuff from their tanks and will gladly sell it cheap to a good customer.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the cost of my screw-in supplies, all from Home Depot

lamp socket w/ on-off pull switch = $2.50
10' extension cord, I cut the one end to get the exposed wires = $1.79
Power strip to use as on/off switch = $2.99
Lights of America 5000k, 26W bulb, CF, screw type = $7

They say to replace bulbs ever year because they loose the low-wavelenghts that plants use. You can still use them for around the house since they still look good, you don't need those wavelenghts.
pennylinx
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

good sete up, cheap too. I have a 2.5 gal aquarium that is newly planted and I have to get another light that is about 5000-6000K, it is only 2700K, dou you think that this is enough Kelvins for my tank b/c the wattage of the bulb itself is 10watts? I am not sure if my plants will stay healthy, or if they will yellow and die. Is it mandatory that the light bulb have 500-600K to have healthy plants even if the wattage is more than enough? (2.5 gal, 10 watt compact flourescent, 2700K)
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a smaller aquarium, I think 10Watts would be OK. Most of the wattage requirement is so that the light is intense enough to go thru all the water and reach the plants. Is your 2.5 gallon very deep? If not, you probably have the equivalent light reaching your plants as a 55 gallon with 50 watts.

I'm not sure if the spectrum rating matters a lot. I think it depends on the type of plant. My java ferns probably don't need 5000k, but the red ludwigia and amazon sword probably do.
pennylinx
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes my tank is not very deep, if I put a 15 watt bulb in or a 20 watt bulb in do you think it would be okay, and my plants would do better? B/c I just injected some CO2 into the tank and my anubias started to pearl, my piece of water wisteria, and Amazon sword, howvever, did not show any signs of pearling. Niether did my Java Fern. I was wondering if I added new lighting, flourish excel, flourish Iron, and Flourish do you think my plants would be able to photosynthesise normally?
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I don't think Java ferns are capable of pearling. They just grow too slowly.

I have two 25W bulbs over the planted half of my 55 gal tank. Don't know if that's enough but we'll see. I just started it not too long ago.

I have a sword, red ludwigla (sp?), a type of unidentified plant that looks like a bush.

Good luck. I think a 20W would be OK for the plants directly under the glow.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: