Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SwordTails and Platies compatibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm answering back while in my 1st period class for Highschool, lol, my school gives us all laptops..

But I defintely think I have two male swordtails, but I don't know about the Platies. I think they are Platies because I got them from wal-mart and they were labeled Fancy Platies, and the swordtails were in another tank, so I think they are Platies.

I do 20 percent water changes everyday, but I think my dad won't let me get a new tank, so I'm going to try my best to save up some dough to buy a bigger tank, what size gallon should I be aiming for, and how much do yiu think they will cost?

Thanks for everyone's help! Very Happy

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon a 20 gallon is an ideal starter tank for a mixed community of fish, and really the minimum for Swordtails and Platties.

10 gallons will do, but you limit the amount of fish you can get.

Why not look at second hand stuff, you can always pick up a bargian with lights, heater, filter etc often chucked in with the tank.

Bob
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres not a lot of pet stores around m yarea, theres only petsmart and walmart, so I think its gonna be really expensive, what could go in a 10 gallon tank?

4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a sad fact of life, that an awful lot of people buy a tank, stock it with fish, they die, they replace them, they die as well, so the tank gets sold, with all the gear for not much money, I bet you there are hundreds of non used tanks sitting in people sheds within a few miles of you.

Keep and eye on places that sell or advertise second hand stuff, then when you see a bargain, tell your dad "Look dad, I am saving you money, and being kind to animals, and at the same time I have found a hobby that will teach me maths, science, philosophy and keep me out of trouble". Make sure you are smiling when you say this Wink

Chances are he will cave in.

Also mention that he hasn't wasted money on the 5 gallon as you can use that as a quarentine / hospital tank. If you were really smart, you could use it to keep some of your fry until they are large enough to sell (Well swap for fish food if you are lucky).

A plain glass tank of 20 gallons wouldn't cost much more than a 10, and you can use pretty much the same equipment. So overall should cost much more.

A 10 gallon tank is OK, but you are limited for shoaling fish, for example if you wanted a shoal of Cory's (Nice fish) you would not be able to get a large shoal of them, and a shaol or another species like Tetra or build up either your Swordtails and Platties.

Bob
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay wrote:

Keep and eye on places that sell or advertise second hand stuff, then when you see a bargain, tell your dad "Look dad, I am saving you money, and being kind to animals, and at the same time I have found a hobby that will teach me maths, science, philosophy and keep me out of trouble". Make sure you are smiling when you say this Wink

Chances are he will cave in.

Also mention that he hasn't wasted money on the 5 gallon as you can use that as a quarentine / hospital tank. If you were really smart, you could use it to keep some of your fry until they are large enough to sell (Well swap for fish food if you are lucky).

Bob

yeah, ill try that, and he probably will say yes, but I think it has to be after he finds out I'm doing a good job with the fish, and its gonna be hard like you guys said, but If I can pull this off, I know he'll buy me a bigger tank.

The only reason he bought me a small tan kwas because I was inexperienced.. Crying or Very sad

4 Betta tanks
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him on the board, we will soon sort him out for you Wink

Yes it is going to be very hard to get your fish through the cycle (If you can't take them back), you really are going to have to do daily water changes (Using lots of de-chlorinator along the way).

I would think a 20% per day (one gallon) would be enough, this way the toxic levels will stay lower (It may slow the cycle a bit but your fish will be safer), and it will stop the fish becoming stunted.

With any luck by the end of Febuary, you will still have an overstocked tank, but at least it will be cycled Wink

The next question is, do you have test kits, these allow you to test for Ammonia, Nitrite etc. If you don't look out for the API master kit, it does those mentioned, Nitrate and pH, they take the guess work out of it all (This is where the chemistry learning comes in).

Bob
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob- could you pm me a more detailed description of sexing various common beginner fish? You're right that would make an excellent comic strip however I am lacking in experience in that part of the field. (I can sex... guppys. And Bettas, except when it's a short finned male.) We'd be glad to credit you in the comic for the information.
Preppy- I'm glad to see that so far you have been able to keep up with the water changes. I'm not sure I could do 20% per day...
Keep up the good work- this too will pass. Plus, I think you will enjoy a bigger tank anyway. 20 gallons is an excellent size for a beginner, small enough to handle (the truth is, with beginners the bigger the better because the more water the more stable the tank could be, but can you imagine the water changes on a 100 gallon tank? That's practically an entire twenty gallon tank, every week!!) but large enough to fit a wide range of fish.
Bon chance!
Liszie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob!! Very Happy The only problem is, My dad can't read English, he speaks KOREAN, haha. That's why he's so strict and stuff, I can't even explain cycling fish to him in korean, I'm better at english by far.

And yeah, I 100% can't take the fish back, I'm not even going to ask my dad, I don't want him to yell at me, haha. But I'm currently doing 20% water changes everyday and putting the aquasafe conditioner in it so it gets dechlorinated.

The tank is right beside my computer, and the yseem to be doing fine, except one of the swordtails is always skimming through the water at the top, it's lip looks weird....

And hey, I didn't ask for a small 5 gallon tank, it's all my dad's fault, Wink

but, thanks for the help! -JOEY

4 Betta tanks
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a job? I'm pretty sure I had a job when I was about your age, maybe a bit older... The laws might be different in the states though, I don't know.
A job is always the best way to go though, that way your parents can't pull the guilt trip. Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lizsie,(spelling?) My parents own a seafood market, which they also sell fish, how ironic, but I just go there and help them cashier, answer phone calls, and I cook, and do almost everything and I don't get anything except nessessities, like clothes, school stuff, and money for when I go out with friends, and that's it, oh yeah and lunch money....My parents stink

Yeah, the only way I can save enuf money is to not eat lunch at school, ouch, and I should be eating since I'm an athlete! ill just like eat right after school, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, since my parents are....you get the drift

4 Betta tanks
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: